Deer Antlers!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

A friend of mine has a small holding up North and breeds deer. Every year he ends up with a pile of antlers which the deer shed naturally.

He has given me a pair and asked me to mount them and I am stuck to be honest. Has anyone done anything like this before and could you give me some pointers?

Cheers,

Mick

Hi
I've done several of these, just make a shield template from MDF and then rout wood of your choice. Fix from behind with long screw into antler(s)
Sometimes I have used some car filler to make a stable face on back of antlers.
Same sort of deal if you are mounting the full cape (head + antlers)
This is a real PITA if it is a big red deer stag, very heavy.
Regards
Martin

Hi Martin,

I didn't expect a reply so soon!

I'll give it a go although my "routing" leaves a little to be desired. I always seem to get "steps" in the edges. Never mind, practice makes perfect so they say.

The antlers are only little ones and no skull to worry about so its just the shape etc I was worried about.

Thanks for advice,

Mick

Mick

Be very careful if you have to drill or cut into the antlers - not only is the dust toxic but the antlers will stink to high heaven. This threadon a scrollsaw forum discussed the subject recently.

Gill

Back