Deep South

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Off to Penzance later in the year for some rest time with HID's. Not wanting to be away from the tools for to long, can anyone suggest interesting tool/wood places to go?

Waka

Waka,

Penzance? Not the greatest spot. I may have to assume a little travelling about on your part here:

There's a bric-a-brac shop in Penzance itself called "Curios" (Upper Causewayhead) that occasionally has a few interesting old tools, but at prices for 'Murricans. :(

If you fancy a car boot sale, then the one at Hayle on a Saturday morning can be good for tools (very busy if the weather's good). The best guy to head for usually sets up at the far right of the field towards the bottom, and generally hasn't finished unpacking until gone 10. He has a white Transit, a Scotish accent and, unfortunately, a pretty good idea of what everything's worth. Some good stuff though, if you're lucky. Pool Market near Redruth operates on Saturday and Sunday, and always has a good dealer on the corner - you just need to ignore the Blackspur junk et al and go inside and you should find lots of goodies. You never know, it may even help if you said a young lady recommended them to you, particularly for "Hilka Professional" planes (it's a running joke :roll: ). The car boot at Rosudgeon on Wednesdays is supposed to be very good, but I've yet to make it there so who knows? Depends just how much later this year you're coming. Pool Market is all year round anyway (and there's a car boot across the road on a Sunday morning too).

The only new tool sellers in Cornwall are Celtic Engineering in Helston (more lawn mowers than anything, but a few Scheppach things etc), Mallet's in Truro (a bit of everything, all at outrageous prices) and there's a place in Liskard that escapes me (bit far from Penzance anyway). South West Surplus Tooling in Bridge, near Porthreath, is an amazing place to visit - full of odds and ends, mainly engineering related but odd planes, chisels, router bits etc. There are a couple of clothes outlets there too, if that'd soften the blow for HID. :wink:

As far as wood goes, it's the pits. The only mildly interesting spot is the Tregothnan Estate Sawmill, east of Truro, which sells woodturning blanks. Beautiful countryside round there, and if it's late enough in the year and it's your thing, the nearby Fentongollan Bulb Farm has hundreds of daffodil bulbs for sale.

For things in wood, try Trelowarren on the Lizard for the Cornwall Crafts Association, and the gallery at Trelissick for their stuff too. Amongst others Scott Woyka and Toby Roskilly, both featured in the woodworking mags, are members. The Eden Project is apparently awash will locally made wooden stuff too, but I haven't been yet. :oops:

That's all that strikes me at the moment, but there are a couple of other car boots if you wanted to know about them. Really your best bet is to stop off at Axminster on the way down... Oh, and you could come and visit Alf Towers if you wanted of course. Charmingly situated between the back of beyond and nowhere. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Waka

Waka":qgofk3tq said:
all I have to do now is convince HID's that she could benefit from my tool purchases

When you do that could you please let me know how I can convince the LOML. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Neil

Its all about convincing them that you really need it for that next project, without it the task would be impossible.

The other way is to use the womens excuse, I didn't really need it but as it was in the sale I've actually saved you some money.

or

Its something we can pass onto the children

or

I know its not your birthday for a few months, but lets get it early

Mind you in my case none of these will work.

Waka

Or you could try looking throughly upset and forlorn, when asked what the problem is you explain that you need whatever the tool is..........Not guaranteed to work but can at times :D

Bean

now come on! you chaps need to be more force-full :shock:

just got called away to make HID a cuppa :shock:

HID loves bags, thus more bags = more tools........... simple :? you`d think !

steve

trevtheturner":l4qxdd0q said:
Just go out and buy it then say, "look what I've got." :twisted:
Works every time. :wink:
So when's the review of how comfortable your sofa is then, Trev...? :lol:

Thats all very well if you are in control of the purse strings. On my weekly allowance I'm lucky to be to afford sandpaper.

I've even tried hiding the cost in the food shopping, that didn't work either, what made you think that an electric drill would double up as a whisk. Embarrassing when you have to return it under HID's watchful eye.

So for all you guys out there, that have control. best of luck.

Waka

Aint got the new sofa yet, Alf. :shock:

But the principle worked when I bought my last car, and when I bought a Honda GoldWing - can do a review of that if you want............much more interesting than a sofa. :wink:

But I do buy nice things for LOML, too. She is also into hand tools - going out this afternoon to buy her some new secateurs! :roll:

Chin up, Waka. Remember, happiness is wanting what you have, not necessarily having what you want! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

God!, I'm so lucky.

I get to pay all the bills, but what's left is all mine to spend on what I want - no interference! (expensive way of buying sandpaper though). :?

How do you insert the little bits of quote, I can get it all in but bits?

Also how do you put a regular quote inder your name?

WaKa, Who can only dream

Waka":h1pmlhwg said:
How do you insert the little bits of quote, I can get it all in but bits?

WaKa, Who can only dream

When you click on the "Quote" button on the top right of the reply post, you get this...

Code:
[quote="Waka"]How do you insert the little bits of quote, I can get it all in but bits?

WaKa, Who can only dream[/quote]

You can just copy the code to give you this for example

Code:
[quote="Her Majesty the Queen"]hello my loyal subjects[/quote]

Gives this.....

Her Majesty the Queen":h1pmlhwg said:
hello my loyal subjects

Like wise, to split it up you have to manually add loads of "Quotes" and "Unqoutes" e.g.

Code:
[quote]Hello[/quote] said Waka 

[quote="Adam"]How are you[/quote]
[quote="Anybody here"]Fine said Waka[/quote]

said Waka

Adam":h1pmlhwg said:
How are you
Anybody here":h1pmlhwg said:
Fine said Waka

Does that help?

Adam

Got the secatuers - went for real quality - £10! :roll: :lol:

LOML loaded up the car, again, as usual, with plants, shrubs and pots.
But did I protest? Of course not - not a hint of complaint was uttered. 8)
Good insurance for whatever the future might hold tool/machine-wise. :twisted: :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Back