Dedicating a router to a table - idea needs fleshing out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angusdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been spending a bit on tools recently (thanks to a new job), and am planning my router table. I have an Incra positioner and various other bits such as tracks, featherboards etc.

I'm not sure I want to have to move my DeWalt 621 router in and out of the table and would like an above the table router lift of some sort. Because this is a hobby, I also don't want to go mental on spending and I like a bit of a challenge.

So here's the idea: buy a second hand quality plunge router (got my eye on a Makita 3612 for example), then dedicate it to the table by removing the plunge springs (and anything else not required) and installing a screw of some sort in the plunge columns. I have a small metalwork lathe so can knock up spacers & bushings if required, and can weld if required. I may well adjust my plans to require welding just for the fun of it - don't hate me cause I'm ambidextrous.

The only pitfall I can think of is the router pulling skew-wif if the lifting screw* is only pulling on one leg of the router.

* The screw will be fixed so it doesn't jump, i.e. is held at the right height rather than relying on the weight of the router.

Wotchafink?

Triton routers seem tailor made for inverted table mounting. Built in wind up through-table lift etc. Had one in my table for a couple of years, works very well and no extras needed.

Decision made then. I hadn't looked into the Triton range although I had an inkling they were quite capable. I've spent 'quite a bit' (Don't tell the wife) with the New Zealand supplier already, but it does make the best sense. Thanks for the info.

Recommend you read right through this thread

Pay particular attention to the 4th post down where I show my setup with above the table adjustment using the Trend T11EK and a 3.6v screwdriver with a hex socket :)

Just had a quick look at D&M as they sell both the Trend T11 and the Triton (quoted as TRB and 2000w, as opposed to TRA and 2400w on Triton website :duno: ). You may be able to find either of them at better prices, but as a direct comparison the Trend is £330 and the Triton £220.

I have had the pleasure of R O Bob's hospitality and have seen his set up and it is very neat, but if I read the blurb on the Triton correctly it also has scope for a similar arrangement. So, simple question for everyone, do you think the Trend is worth £110 more than the Triton, and if so, why?

Terry.

Like Random I've got the Trend T11 jobbie and find it extremely good. I've actually got three of them. One is permanently in the table, one is set up and used JUST for kitchen worktops and the other is for anything else. I know thats a bit excessive, but I seem to do an awful lot of kitchen worktops and time being money and all that.....
The reason I stick with trend is that they make a vast array of accessories and jigs which just fir - no need to adapt bases or fit adaptors. I fully understand that most people would make the kind of jigs Trend sell, but when time really is money it's often cheaper just to buy something ready made that works out of the box.
So far Trend haven't let me down.
Having said that i believe the Dewalt 625 is a straight copy of the T11 with a slightly different base, so mechanically should be just as good.

HTH

Pete

RogerS":3vr76yj4 said:
And a car scissor jack works very well at lifting and supporting a router in a table to the right height.

+1 vote for the sissor jack concept. Very easy to build and keeps the router balanced. I still lock it in position using the original locking action - and kept the spring in place to assist gravity.

"Having said that i believe the Dewalt 625 is a straight copy of the T11 with a slightly different base, so mechanically should be just as good".

Wrong it is just the other way round

Dewalt was available long before the Trend copy.

Good router (I had the Dewalt), but the Triton TRA001 in my opinion is much better in a table, and the fact it costs less makes it a no brainer in my eyes. Best of all is the one handed single tool bit change as the Router locks the shaft when it is raised in the table to change the bit.

My dewalt is brilliant in the table, running in ujk cast iron and ujk lift. I love it.

Ok, i'll quantify my post

The router itself is good, plenty of power etc but compared to the Trend & Triton, it needs a 3rd party mechanism for adjustment as Mahomo59 has as it doesn't have the 'from the top' adjustment that the other two have

Neither does it project above the table for easier bit replacement - this was a particular pain in the bum for me, much more so than adjusting from underneath

I use an offcut of laminate flooring to mount my Triton in an old Trend table - no need to spend on anything fancy and if starts sagging, i'll use another offcut !

Well I looked at the triton TRA001 and the Trend T11 yesterday and I bought the Triton. I'd have bought the Triton even if it had been £100 more than the T11 but it was £100 cheaper. Obviously I've not used it yet but it has a quality feel, fantastic features. I like the depth gage - better than anything else I've seen. Rack and pinion, plunge and micro adjustment. I love the ability to change the bits from above the table and the ability to raise the router from above the table (Trend also has this). I bought the table to go with it, so we'll see what it's like.

DiscoStu":1425u8ii said:
Well I looked at the triton TRA001 and the Trend T11 yesterday and I bought the Triton. I'd have bought the Triton even if it had been £100 more than the T11 but it was £100 cheaper. Obviously I've not used it yet but it has a quality feel, fantastic features. I like the depth gage - better than anything else I've seen. Rack and pinion, plunge and micro adjustment. I love the ability to change the bits from above the table and the ability to raise the router from above the table (Trend also has this). I bought the table to go with it, so we'll see what it's like.

+1 bought the Triton TRA001 at the D&M show, at what seemed a very good price.

Had a little play with it this afternoon and so far I am very impressed. Very powerful so no effort to cut. I also really like the depth control. It seems very accurate. I'm looking forward to getting it in the table!

Back