Dedicated thicknesser feedback, or alternative suggestion???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkdchippie

Reaction score
Am looking at taking the plunge and investing into a stand alone thicknesser.
My requirements...

Minimum bed width 400mm
Single phase
Sub £1500
New, or refurbished
Good power in reserve for planing end grain

Surprisingly, I've only managed to find 1 option.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-th410-410mm-thicknesser-501206
It seems to tick all the boxes. However, I'm always cautious of "own brand" products. And at the price point it's hitting I'm asking myself "what's the catch?" In my experience, when something is built to a price there's usually a compromise or two in the deal. First and foremost, I'm taking a guess that it's built in China which I think means poorer quality straight out of the box.
Does anyone have any experience using this machine??? Any feedback would be appreciated

There is one alternative I've found, but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK. It's the Jet JWP209HH
https://www.amazon.com/Jet-JWP-208HH-20-inch-Helical-Planer/dp/B0011TKF2M
Yes, I realise it is somewhat outside my allocated budget (if I've done my sums correctly). But, with such limited options, I would give it serious consideration if it were available. In addition, the spiral cutterblock set-up is pretty trick using 6 rows (I think...) of small 15x15 knives with 4 edges sharp. So, after the knives dull, you simply rotate each knife though 90deg. It sounds easy, but I'm guessing there's a bit more to it than that.

Can anybody suggest alternatives to either of the above???
I would love to be looking at Felder, SCM/Minimax or a whole bunch of other manufacturers right now but my budget doesn't reach that far unfortunately.
And anyways, if the Axminster item does just as good a job at 2/3rd's of the price, why should I need to.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this thread, and I look forward to hearing any feedback :)

What a glorious problem to have!

Anyway, I assume you want just a thicknesser because you already have a jointer? And I assume you need it to be 400mm width because you regularly thickness boards that thick?

Whilst I don't have experience with that machine, I and a lot of others here rate axminster products. They're actually on a par with jet in most cases - you'll see a lot of similarities between jet and axminster machines, they're often the same models, sourced from China.

They're no Felder or Sedgwick, but they're good quality nonetheless

The axminster spiral cutter blocks (available on other machines) are supposed to need no setup - you just undo them, spin then and then tighten them back up. Not sure about the jet spiral cutters though

For 1500 pounds you could get a rather new secondhand industrial thicknesser. Not a rusty heap of cast iron parts from the time when old Adam still worked at the foundry but a fully modern machine which may need a couple of new bearings and belts at most. SCM l'Invincibile or Griggio or Panhans for instance.
However they are all three phase.

Thanks for the replies so far

MattRoberts":3jt3nir2 said:

Anyway, I assume you want just a thicknesser because you already have a jointer?
Yes, I have an over and under at present, and a jointer. The over and under will be finding a new home, or kept as a back up (haven't decided yet...)
And I assume you need it to be 400mm width because you regularly thickness boards that thick?
Yes, 300-400mm is gonna be going through it on a fairly regular basis
Whilst I don't have experience with that machine, I and a lot of others here rate axminster products. They're actually on a par with jet in most cases - you'll see a lot of similarities between jet and axminster machines, they're often the same models, sourced from China

Good to know. I wasn't sure, but suspected this may be the case due to the overwhelming similarities between some machines.
My experience with Jet machinery is limited, and I have to say mostly remembered for the wrong reasons. I was at a shop for a couple of years that had 3 Jet machines. One in particular was a Jet 22-44 Plus wide belt sander, and it was a pig! The feed belt tracking and tension was pretty cheap and nasty, and across the width it would never finish anything evenly. One side was always narrower than the other despite countless hair pulling hours trying to true the thing up!!!! Needless to say it's left a bad taste when it comes to off white machines with a Jet badge on them...
heimlaga":3jt3nir2 said:
For 1500 pounds you could get a rather new secondhand industrial thicknesser. Not a rusty heap of cast iron parts from the time when old Adam still worked at the foundry but a fully modern machine which may need a couple of new bearings and belts at most. SCM l'Invincibile or Griggio or Panhans for instance.
I've been holding out hope to find something like this, but so far no cigar. And exactly for the reason you suggest, they're all three phase

Inverters are getting relatively cheap these days, a 3ph machine can easily be converted to 1ph and the price difference in 2nd stuff between 1ph &3ph is sufficient to make it economics. Benefit you will get is soft start and the option to fit a breaking resistor. Usually you can find somewhere to tuck away the inverter.

Is this of interest:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/thicknesser-4 ... SwuzRXePoI

I bought an SCM machine, 400mm width which is a nice solid machine. Paid about £1200.

You wont find many 400mm machines around, the scm or samco seem the most common.

I would say a single phase machine with a 400mm width will be underpowered, so if you could stretch to a 3 phase and an an inverter it might be worth thjnking about.

I have a large thicknesser to sell 630mm width, might be a bit too big!

Inkdchippie":1foczcq6 said:
Thanks for the replies so far

MattRoberts":1foczcq6 said:

Anyway, I assume you want just a thicknesser because you already have a jointer?
Yes, I have an over and under at present, and a jointer. The over and under will be finding a new home, or kept as a back up (haven't decided yet...)
And I assume you need it to be 400mm width because you regularly thickness boards that thick?
Yes, 300-400mm is gonna be going through it on a fairly regular basis
Whilst I don't have experience with that machine, I and a lot of others here rate axminster products. They're actually on a par with jet in most cases - you'll see a lot of similarities between jet and axminster machines, they're often the same models, sourced from China

Good to know. I wasn't sure, but suspected this may be the case due to the overwhelming similarities between some machines.
My experience with Jet machinery is limited, and I have to say mostly remembered for the wrong reasons. I was at a shop for a couple of years that had 3 Jet machines. One in particular was a Jet 22-44 Plus wide belt sander, and it was a pig! The feed belt tracking and tension was pretty cheap and nasty, and across the width it would never finish anything evenly. One side was always narrower than the other despite countless hair pulling hours trying to true the thing up!!!! Needless to say it's left a bad taste when it comes to off white machines with a Jet badge on them...
heimlaga":1foczcq6 said:
I've been holding out hope to find something like this, but so far no cigar. And exactly for the reason you suggest, they're all three phase

A couple of people in the forum have bought this model I think and have given it good write ups: viewtopic.php?t=45354 If you search TH410 in this forum a few threads pop up

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Back