Decorative option?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Has anyone ever used permanent markers (eg. Sharpies) to decorate wood. Sharpies claim that their markers can be used on wood, but I wonder whether they would bleed, and just how permanent ‘permanent’ is.
D.

I've used Sharpies, they seem pretty light-fast, especially when covered by a layer of CA, if you use sanding sealer it shouldn't bleed.

Hi Guys,
Has anyone ever used permanent markers (eg. Sharpies) to decorate wood. Sharpies claim that their markers can be used on wood, but I wonder whether they would bleed, and just how permanent ‘permanent’ is.
D.
I often decorate woodturned items and was interested in your post. So I got out a Sharpie and marked some sanded end-grain hardwood and softwood. There is a fractional amount of bleed but as ink dries almost instantly. It depends what you want to do. Under a 20x microscope the tip of a Sharpie is a a little bit rough anyway. It is possible that the ink may fade over time but you should do some test pieces and expose some indoors in a sunlite room and some in the shade. Have you tried pyrography to mark up stuff. I have an Instagram site, woodandstuffltd which shows lots of examples. Hope this helps.

Thanks Adam and Wood and Stuff.
I know you, Adam, have very successfully used paint and other stuff in decorating some of your pieces . Sharpies do come in a variety of colours, so, if they stick, it opens up a new approach to decoration.
Wood and Stuff, thanks for your interest, and for taking the trouble to test the idea. I have a pyrography kit, and have used that on bowls, but I have struggled a bit with getting consistent lines.
I think I’ll try the Sharpie idea.
D.

Hi Pete
I’ve had a look at chatter work spin tops. As you say, there are lots of examples of highly decorated, colourful tops. What colouring medium has been used is not revealed, and the YouTube bits do not explain it, being ‘tasters’ for a fully explanatory dvd that is for sale.
Best wishes
D

I have used brush pens in the past and even wide black marker pens. I would add that they weren't used on what you might call "gallery" pieces.

Hi folks I have just been on YouTube and there is a type of Sharpie but with Indian ink in which the user who had your problem cured it with these Indian ink ones. He says that the bonus with the thicker end which is used most can be gently removed and re inserted the other way round. Hope this helps. Best wishes to all. Joe

Several Pro turners have demonstrated colouring small items at our club with felt tip pens. One showed the difference between a cheap set & the ones that he normally uses - but I can't remember which they were.
This French turner has a pot of flowers beside the lathe which he uses to colour a spinning top
-

Another option - you can get empty brush pens which you can fill with any ink or dye you like. I have a few of those and have used them in the past with spirit dyes.

I have used them on a couple of signs in the past, and as the owners have not complained about fading so must still be looking in fair condition,
That old treadle powered lathe was great (y):)

Harvey Meyer is one of the guys in the states who does the really great basket illusion pieces. He demonstrated at the last AWGB seminar and recommends the Feber Castell Pitt ink markers. they are available with everything from 1mm to brush tips and sold as artist quality / permanent ink pigments.

Faber Castell make some nice permanent pens/markers that I have used.
They are expensive but work well.

Latest posts

Back