Deconstructing furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thought.

Are the also panelled doors to this piece as well as the glazed doors.

If this is the case it may be that it was done this way to avoid resetting a machines for mortising and tenoning, and then stopped rabates were used in the glazed doors with the corners cut out with a chisel after glue up.

Tom

Hi Tom

No other panels. I'm not sure if the design changed mid-brief. My own thoughts are that this is just the way that the guy makes glazed panels.

Benchwayze":3735b6nu said:
And the 'mason's mitre or scribe joint, is used to avoid mitred mouldings opening up over the years. I think...
John :D
That's what I was taught, John: scribing in general is superior to mitring as it prevents a gap opening if the rail shrinks. It's not always practicable though, and some mouldings are difficult, or even impossible to scribe. Probably accounts for the popularity of the humble ovolo, which scribes easily.

The mason's mitre is something entirely different and less refined though. Here, shrinkage of the rail causes a small step. Better than a gap though.

Frames where the moulding is routed after assembly to leave round corners is a pet hate of mine!

Benchwayze":llzac0ol said:
And the 'mason's mitre or scribe joint, is used to avoid mitred mouldings opening up over the years. I think...

John :D
As I understand it they are entirely different things.
The back of the door has a mason's mitre, where the router was run around and corner cleaned up with a chisel, similar to the proper thing commonly done in stonework by masons.
The mouldings front and back are mitred or scribed, most likely just mitred.
There's an often-used halfway joint between mitred and scribed where the moulding on the stiles is scribed (but not all the way back) and the moulding on the rail is tucked under the scribe and crudely mitred but at more than 45º, so it is covered as for a scribe but doesn't go all the way. It's quicker and easier - scribing gouge for the part scribe and quick chop with a straight chisel for the concealed mitre.

Back