Decking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack9110000

Established Member
Reaction score
My nephew would like me to sand their decking and clean out the small grooves with either a router or a Dremel,then refinish with oil.Can anyone help with any tips or tricks?

That sounds like a massive job. I think I'd be more inclined to use the router to get rid of the grooves if I was going to that much trouble.

As for oils and protection. Theseproducts seem to be the best.

Tho please don't assume you will stop the timber going grey, it's a thankless task DAMHIKT!

I used that Cabot stuff on my cedar deck. Wish i had just left it natural, started to peal off after 6 months leaving the decking patchy.

So he's expecting you to get down on your hands and knees with a router and clear the grooves on his deck? Apart from the fact that that will be hundreds of linear feet - whats wrong with a pressure washer?

As has been said re treatment - unless you are going to reapply the oil at least once a year (probably twice) and sand any grey patches that will appear in between times then its a waste of time.

Cheers

Tim

Thank's for the replies.The pressure washer seems to be the way to go.Someone mentioned a chemical cleaner,any brand names spring to mind?

Hi Mack,
I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to use a pressure washer on a timber deck as it can damage the fibres in the wood. Not sure if this is true or not :?

My deck was absolutely minging, didn't bother sweeping up leaves from last autumn which then decomposed over the winter :oops:
I cleaned it by using a strong solution of biological washing powder (e.g. Persil) and a stiff yard brush. Minimum effort and it came up a treat, even cleaned out the gunge in the grooves :D Just remember to rinse it well after. Couple of coats of Cuprinol and it looks great. 2 days work and it looks like new. HTH

2518567350_fd03ce518b.jpg

BTW, I'm heading over to Glasgow this week, any good woodworkers supply shops?

Dave thanks for the reply & picture, the deck looks stunning.As for woodworking supply shops,there are too many and varied for me to list, but the "Barras"market is good for 2nd hand tools (moulding planes etc)if you search carefully and there are 2 good toolstores in the vicinity.The market's open on Sunday.Enjoy your stay, regards mack.

the main trick to a long lasting finish is to scrub it with a fungicidal wash to kill of any spores so that your newly oiled deck stays new looking longer. you can get a fungicidal wash from dulux deccy stores or any of the big sheds its main use is for washing down masonry before painting.
I can reccomend oragonoil decking oil smells lovely and lasts. \:D/

I sprayed mine with the hose, then a strong bleach solution. scrub with a stiff yard brush and it comes up nicely...

agreed re. organoil, its great stuff.

(btw, a colleage painted his with hi-gloss yacht varnish...this is not the way of the wise...he now has a wooden skid pan )
:roll:

Latest posts

Back