Decking woods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I plan to make a deck soon. I am going to get some quotes on the timber but before I start investigating can anyone tell me what wood type is to be avoided and what is better.

I want to try to have as much a natural tint as possible, may be using oil. Pressure treated is good though. I have heard the likes of Struss and Larch so far (not sure of the spelling).

Thanks

i am in the planning stage of a deck at the moment. I would really like to use a wood called IPE which is an extremely hard hardwood. It is a lovely colour. However because this wood is rather expensive i am likely to settle on Cedar which I have found to be quite reasonable from http://www.decksupply.co.uk

Hi CYC,

How about Ekki as used for the Liffey boardwalk? :wink:

I've been told about somewhere near the new house which supplies Irish Cedar, although I'm not sure if they will machine it into decking boards :?

Neil

Jason, superb deck you made there. Have you not got any space between the boards, it doesn't show on the pictures?

Also, did you make that lovely bench at the end of the deck?? :D (last picture).

Neil, as you know too well it is rather hard to get anything sophisticated in this country!? Nice found though :wink:

"Neil, as you know too well it is rather hard to get anything sophisticated in this country!? Nice found though "

Except the people, of course......

Noel

Hehe Damn right Noel :D

Actually Neil the Bangkirai wood is very nice, it's more the colour I am after. Ekki is too dark. Let's find out the price now ](*,)

CYC":zrmtycfk said:
Let's find out the price now ](*,)
Humm, thats the part I'm worried about... 8-[ - if Dublin City Council bought it, it must be overpriced! :wink:

Neil

I must be a really bad searcher, googler or what ever you want to call it. I can never find those sites.
Thanks Neil, I mailed them, the other crowd didn't bother replying as your typical irish business!!

I only found it by remembering it from a while ago - my Google search of 'Noyeks Newmans' probably wouldn't be the first thing to spring to mind when looking for decking supplies!

Neil

Latest posts

Back