Decking supplied from the US?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

About a month ago when I started looking into building my own deck, I came across an american website that shipped wood to the UK by the pallet. Stupidly I did not bookmark it and now for the life of me I can not find it! Has anyone else come across this site? It seemed to be aimed specifically at the UK.

Also would anyone advise against this idea? Initially I am just trying to find the site again to see how it prices up.

One would need to know an awful lot more about the wood on offer, (nine times out of ten it pays to choose your own wood from a reputable yard). Buying a pallet is just a pig in a poke unless good guarantees and lots of photos etc are available.

The reason good wood from decent yards often seems expensive is because they have taken risks and wasted a lot of wood you never see, turning their imports into saleable material

WIZeR,

If your interested in prices for decking wood over here, I'm just into replacing my deck & was pricing up the stuff yesterday. Here's a few examples of what it costs over here.

Here is Canada (Not US) / Exchange rate is about 2.36 Cdn$ to the GB Pound.

- Treated 2"x6" x12ft joist (fir) ~ $13.28 (5.62 pound)

- Treated 6"x6"x 10ft post (fir) ~ $29.98 (12.69 pound)

- Untreated 2"x4"x10ft decking (spruce) ~ $4.18 (1.77 pound)

- Untreated 2"x4"x10ft decking (cedar) ~ $9.98 (4.22 pound)

These prices are all for one length at my local big box hardware store (I think you would read B&G).
If I buy a a job lot for the deck, I expect I could get some sort of discount, but not a great deal as these guys deal in board feet by the train load.

My deck is about 18ft x 10ft & it's going to cost me about $600 (250 pound) for the wood (Treated 6" joists & spruce 2"x4"'s). If I went with Cedar decking it would be up around $1200 (500 pound).

regards,
sam :)

Back