Decking Construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shultzy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in th process of designing decking. Currently the only web sites that do the design are in the USA. The decking is 22ft long, 10ft wide and 4ft high. The site has suggested 10"x2" joists at 14" centres with the perimeter of two bolted together on 6"x6" posts at 7ft 4" centres. Does this seem in the right ballpark?

Attachments

• Decking.jpg
    Decking.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
That's unnecessarily large timber. 7x2s would be fine for a 10 foot span, but that isn't commonly available, so use 8x2s.

Shultzy":1p7efqsw said:
Wouldn't that mean that the 6"x6" posts would need to be closer together?

No, the post location isn't affected by the joists. I haven't even thought about the girding beams (which bear on the posts)........that's structural engineer's territory.

MikeG.":2a3ssrb7 said:
Shultzy":2a3ssrb7 said:
No, the post location isn't affected by the joists. I haven't even thought about the girding beams (which bear on the posts)........that's structural engineer's territory.
Would bolting the 6"x6" to 4"x4" godfather posts come under structural engineer's territory as well?

You'll need to explain that more fully. And frankly, I can't see any reason for the posts to be 6x6. They're perfectly OK at 4x4 so long as there is something somewhere to provide racking resistance.

Back