Decisions you have to live with.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
We are renovating our front door, which has taken a lot longer that planned. It’s the original Victorian door from 1875, with the ‘original’ letter box, or I expect close to original. It was a vertical slot and only 4.5” tall, so most letters got shoved under the door.

We decided to replace the letter box with a larger horizontal model that would actually function better in today’s world. Repairing the original hole was fun and pretty happy with the outcome, considering the door design. The back has yet to be filled and sanded, the front is as good as it will be.

D1477109-CBF3-4596-BEE2-F15D2F5E3F68.jpeg

34C6383F-7FB2-4A64-B928-334D8A70AE98.jpeg

The original letter box was a nasty silver with rust spots affair covered in lots of paint. However, I suspected it could be quite nice under potentially 100yrs worth. I thought I’d strip it to see if I may be able to eBay it for a few pounds but more importantly avoid it going to waste. Well the wife and I are currently eating humble pie. We keep telling ourselves it’s too small however nice it is!
1CC1C62D-A6D1-4BC8-9150-B4B6923CC1BB.jpeg

There is no way I’m reversing the process. I think I’ll try to frame it in a deep frame and hang it in the hall. If we ever move it’ll stay with the house, we are only ever stewards of great things.
Fitz.

That is one amazing letter plate - you know where it needs live :unsure:

I can’t believe you were going to put a true piece of history on eBay :cry:

That is one amazing letter plate - you know where it needs live :unsure:

I can’t believe you were going to put a true piece of history on eBay :cry:
Honestly Robin before stripping I though it might be ‘ok’, you could make out the word ‘letters’ and the general shape but none of the detail was evident.
Fitz.

There is no way I’m reversing the process. I think I’ll try to frame it in a deep frame and hang it in the hall. If we ever move it’ll stay with the house, we are only ever stewards of great things.
Fitz.
What a superb idea, a lovely piece of the property’s history.

Although, it’s not too late to reverse the process as you still haven’t finished the inside😉

That is a beautiful letter plate. They don't fetch a huge amount unfortunately. I like the idea of leaving it in the house.
I see Toolstation even sell the pre-stripped version! 🤣

I’d looked on eBay (before I stripped it) but found nothing as I didn’t know the term ‘letter plate’. Unbelievably I’ve found an identical one just sold for £8, also Scotland based.

Decisions you have to live with....

Studying engineering rather than furniture design at bucks college (high Wycombe) dumb teenager!

Not what you were asking but what came to mind!!!

Cheers James

If you like it that match, just reverse the process and strip out what you've done, then put a larger horizontal one in as well?

Is it possible to put it back and then install a larger wall box for bigger letters?

If not, then your idea of framing it is great! I would.

Back