Decent timber yards in the North East

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quickben

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in Whitley Bay on the north east coast. I have plenty of local builder's merchants who supply the odd bit of hardwood, but their stock levels are sporadic and their pricing makes no sense.

I have the option of British Hardwoods' website and subsequent delivery service. The reviews on the website are encouraging, but I'd like to walk around proper timber yard myself and hand pick something.

Anyone know of any around this area ?

Gary

Have you looked at the reference section?
This site has a huge collection of suppliers with the sort of information you want right under your nose.

Sorry, yes, forgot to mention that I'd checked the list and the closest is Yorkshire (British Hardwoods, ironically enough)

No doubt there are some closer and a quick google search came up with a couple, but I wondered if there were any known and used by people on this forum.

Gary.

I go to duffield from time to time. They basically have everything hardwood wise and they are setup for private buying not just trade.

Close by are also Scawton Sawmill - keen prices on Oak and Ash from France.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks gents, looking at Duffields now.

What are their prices like ? Comparable to British Hardwoods ?

No prices on their website.

I'll look at Scawton as well. I plan on working with oak, ash and walnut predominantly.

Gary

I noticed there's currently no entries for British Hardwoods in the reference list. I'll report back after I try them.

Gary.

British hardwoods are very good and helpful. Prices seem reasonable to me, I don't buy a lot of timber though. It may not be the cheapest, but I would rather pay a few quid extra per cubic foot and get good stuff.

Hi Gary

We aren't well served here in the North East especially since John Boddy in Boroughbridge went under as it was always worth the trip and Keenleysides in Bedlington Station still had some of their stuff in stock but probably not a lot left now.

* Hexhamshire hardwoods always carried a decent range of small stuff but opened odd hours so need a phone call first,
* I noticed recently that Axminster on the Tyne Tunnel Trading Estate had a few boards in alongside the usual turning blanks.
* I bought quite a bit of oak and ash from a company in Blaydon but they were taken over by Travis Perkins, still worth a phone call. https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/
* Robert Duncan on Green Lane off the Felling bypass always held some nice timber and definitely worth a call. https://www.robertduncan.co.uk/welcome
* Vince at The Turners Workshop in Camperdown, Killingworth, ( near John Lewis and Fenwick warehouses ) carries a lot of wood pen blanks but also had some nice largish chunks when I was in a few weeks ago, mostly for turners though and needs a phone call or text to check when he's there. https://www2.theturnersworkshop.co.uk/

Can't think of any others offhand as I haven't bought for quite a while, have enough to occupy me for several lifetimes. :lol:

cheers
Bob

I have used Duffield Timber and British Hardwood. Duffield have more choice and I would say are a bit better on price. They usually have some gems if you dig around in the clearance section. I would definitely go to Scawton Sawmills for oak - they are really helpful there as well.

Like already mentioned scawton is a good place. I got a load of oak delivered off them to make my kitchen worktops. Nice stuff and not silly money

Thanks fellas, all good information !

I'll probably order a bit of PAR walnut and some sawn oak boards from British Hardwoods first, then take a trip down to Duffields to compare quality and price on the oak. I don't mind going to different suppliers for different timber.

Bob, I'll give Robert Duncan a look. Another potential local source of ash, and maybe sapele and utile.

My only issue is we don't have a thicknesser at the minute, just a 6" jointer, hence the PAR. Will get one at some point, though.

Gary.

One more question, gents:

When a supplier quotes a price in £/cubic foot, can I take that to mean 1728 cubic inches ?

So for example, a 7' x 10" board would be 840 cubic inches, and therefore just under half a cubic foot ?

Or is it just some nominal quantity developed in times of yore that is open to interpretation and therefore different (and therefore wrong) wherever you go ?

Hi Gary

Just remembered there's a company called Quay Timber in Newcastle who used to sell hardwood though don't know if they still do, however they do have a machining service and happy to plane or dimension your own timber if you take it along. No idea what the cost is but can be a useful service if the need is there.

Bob

edit:
http://www.quaytimber.co.uk/

Quickben":1k51399x said:
One more question, gents:

When a supplier quotes a price in £/cubic foot, can I take that to mean 1728 cubic inches ?

So for example, a 7' x 10" board would be 840 cubic inches, and therefore just under half a cubic foot ?

Or is it just some nominal quantity developed in times of yore that is open to interpretation and therefore different (and therefore wrong) wherever you go ?

Yes a cubic foot is 1728 cubic inches, or a board 12' long x 12" wide x 1" thick

I know it's traditional to sell hardwood in cubic feet but I always find it easier to work in cubic metres.

Back