• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Decent quality splitting axes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mention it so you had no way of knowing but in all likelihood I'm going to get a narrowboat of some variety.
Not sure I can fit a splitter on there!
Nowt to add on axes, but I hope you'll sort internet on the boat and keep us up to date with your adventures, sounds great.

Cheers Chris. Know you been there too mate. I'll keep in touch. Hoping I can set up a little knife making bit to keep the fingers and soul right.

I worked with a Newfy (from Newfoundland on Canada's East Coast) once. He said "All the wooden fishing boats carries a scuttler on them." Looked at him with more than a little confusion and he said. "It's the axe you use to chop a hole in the bottom of the boat when you wants the insurance to buy you a new one." Not much use on a steel boat though.

Pete

Cheers Chris. Know you been there too mate. I'll keep in touch. Hoping I can set up a little knife making bit to keep the fingers and soul right.
Guy at Rodley in Leeds has a small woodworking business on his canal boat.

Shows it can be done.

Where will you be based?

Cheers James

Marina based I think for the kids at first. Wide beam to give them space. Personally I'm trad stern ice breaker, lister engine and off up the cut flogging coal but there you go till they get older. All about them of course. My lass is only 7.

You could follow in the footsteps of leo from sampson boat co, and turn your new adventure into a youtube story?

'Youtuber with new axe arrested cutting down telegraph pole for firewood'

😆😂

For all the premium axes and hatches I have to play with, for a day in the woods beasting logs into firewood the ones that invariably get used most are Fiskars, X21, X25 or X27. Highly effective splitters, light and easy to swing all day, and don't need mollycodling :) Of course they look very untraditional but that aside they just work, very well indeed ! :)
I too find the Fiskars axes excellent, virtually effortless.

For all the premium axes and hatches I have to play with, for a day in the woods beasting logs into firewood the ones that invariably get used most are Fiskars, X21, X25 or X27. Highly effective splitters, light and easy to swing all day, and don't need mollycodling :) Of course they look very untraditional but that aside they just work, very well indeed ! :)
Paulm has my vote.
I live in Bulgaria, the wood burning capital of Europe, and use Fiskars. They are brilliant

Hultafors long handled splitting axe KL7 with a long handle works for me. I planed the shaft octagonal and made it nice and thin like an axe shaft should be. Afterall I'm not going out clubbing, so don't need something with a shaft like a baseball bat.

I also keep it razor sharp, as I prefer to split with finesse, not smash the wood into bits.

Re the boat look for a boat with either a Gardiner or izuzu engine. Best engines around.

I hired a canal boat with the izuzu engine and it was brilliant. Looked it up and people high rates it.

Cheers James

My splitting axe is a Sandvik “Maul” which if you look at the expensive Swedish site linked to earlier, is the same pattern as the one they do called Slaggy,,like a cross between an axe and a sledge hammer, uses a straight Sledge handle. Ive been very pleased with it.
Steve.

Funny enough..... The old trigger finger has been hovering over buy direct on Hultafors axes for a good few days. That's why I posted here...

Thanks Paul but seeing as I'm having to sell a lot of my gear off due to a change in circumstances I thought I would invest in a nice couple of proper (and beautiful :whistle: ) axes. I make you right. If I was chopping wood all day I'd probably do the same. I might hang them on the wall on my boat inbetween use. I'm a bit sad like that. :)

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the effort and time. I didn't mention it so you had no way of knowing but in all likelihood I'm going to get a narrowboat of some variety.
Not sure I can fit a splitter on there!

I have looked and the general consensus seems to be that there is not a huge amount of difference in working quality, maybe the Gransfors Bruks have a slightly better handle finish? Think they are both owned by Hultafors now anyway. The Hultafors seem cheaper. (Relative term).
After a bit of whistful pondering I reckon I'd go for the Hultafors Aby Forest axe and the splitter, both the premium ranges because... after the last few months I deserve it. Simple as that.
I've have had an
ELWELL 3370 / 9" HERTFORD ' BILLHOOK
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/elwell-3370-hertford-billhook-bill-166657540for my whole adult life. I honestly think it's the perfect pattern as the edge varies in thickness from base to end and it is a mastery of form and purpose. Mine didn't have a handle for ever until I eventually rehandled mine with a much shorter (fist size) handle as that was how I'd used it for years. Balance is perfect.

I reckon with all three in my armoury I'm covered.
Especially for burglars. 🧸

I do have a weird penchant for a couple of small bearded axes mind...
https://www.workshopheaven.com/petr...bOCu2vAUHeAS56RzzLtJgViofCHFqEMRoCz2QQAvD_BwE
Not sure why. It might be a moot point (Heeeeyyyy ! 🍻) .... And the strangest hankering to visit a monastery.... Very weird....💀😬

No, Hultafors ans Gränsfors has nothing to do with each other except that they both produce axes in Sweden. Gränsfors however has the same owner as woolpower who produce excellent woolen undergarments in Östersund.

I use a roughneck splitting axe from screwfix. It’s heavy, and as long as you sharpen it out the box, it’s pretty easy. Heavy enough to do the work for you.

I have a *cough* "few" axes ranging from the sublime to the I-don't-know-where-they-are-now-but-they-belong-there.

Amongst the sublime are 2 Gransfors (the hand hatchet and the splitting hatchet) and a Fiskars X11 light splitting axe. These are used to produce kindling rather than splitting logs, so they're on the smaller side than I think you're after. They're also not for sale I'll add, unhelpfully.

TBH, the Fiskar sees more use (it lives in the shed as it was cheap and fairly rust resistant) as the Gransfors stay in the house where they won't rust and, yes, I can pet them. They really are smashing to use and do see action when I manage to remember I'm going to the shed to make kindling... rather than arriving there and then remembering why I'm there. It happens.

I have a Hultafors "carpenters" axe which was bought early on but sees little use really. In comparison to the Gransfors, the handles aren't anywhere near as nice. The Hultafor is smooth while the Gransfors are pitted (by little elves with tiny adzes by the look of them) and much nicer in the hand. Oh and, FWIW, the sheaths are fancier on the Gransfors too. The business end is much the same which is what's important, right? Hmmmm... I'd put the comparison between the two brands as Audi vs Mercs - if you want a Merc but buy an Audi, you're gonna feel a bit miffed you didn't just take the extra hit.

As others have said, the Fiskars are great and well worth considering if only to keep for being horrible to.

As an aside my stubai axe was cheap probably as the handle had a poor finish which came off in my hands.
What do you recommend as a a non slip coating?

Cheers James

BLO? You could just use linseed oil if you have no use for your tool for 3 months while it dries. 😬

I agree with using BLO or Tung oil. Hard finishes give you blisters quicker than a smooth sanded handle with oil on it. For me at least. I do it to shovels, rakes etc for the same reason.

Pete

Last edited:
Thank you all for replies to what is probably the longest Wanted Thread ever on UKW. (sorry Mods 😬 )
I do appreciate all the comments about the practical utility of the Fiskars range. I've just watched a few videos and they look amazing tools for the job. And I do listen! I get they are extremely efficient and practical. Probably the best solution for my situation from a purely utilitarian POV. Don't doubt it.

Sometimes though, you want something with a little joy and beauty in it too. I take a lot of pleasure in using a tool that is not only useful but sometimes also one that is also beautiful and crafted. I mess about with wood and tool 'making' because I like wood and steel. I can't put a sensible finger on it. Same as I can't tell you why one song can lift my heart, why I like misty mornings in the wood, the joy of fire or cooking perfect aged steak just right. I could listen to Taylor Swift, never leave London, and eat McDonalds everyday. It would keep me alive ... buuuut.... FTSh*t. 😉

I've had to sell most of my big tools, the shed is going just as I had it sorted for extraction etc... 🤬
I'm keeping my best handtools in storage (obviously!) but there is very little room on any boat, so for the immediate I'm willing to splurge more than I would normally on a couple of tools that I think merit the extra money.

I hope that makes sense. 🙂 I really do appreciate all the variation in advice and experience. It's what makes fora like this worthwhile. You can't buy the advice anywhere.

Thanks all. Best regards.
I reckon my mind is nearly made up...

Back