• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Decent quality splitting axes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
I'm after 2 premium brand splitting axes, short and long handled such as Hultafors etc.
Anyone bought one in a moment of 'ohhh shiny!' then find they are not really using them at all months later?!?
C'mon... you know you could use the money for summat more useful. And I could use 2 excellent axes as I'm heading towards a wood burning existence in the foreseeable. I'm willing to pay fair price and postage of course.
Regards Chris

I have a very good stubai axe but I'm not parting with it.

Need to find a decent hatchet tbh.

Cheers James

Ebay?
A while back i saw that estwing do a double ended hatchet! Looks cool and no doubt popular with the hells angels 😆🤣

For all the premium axes and hatches I have to play with, for a day in the woods beasting logs into firewood the ones that invariably get used most are Fiskars, X21, X25 or X27. Highly effective splitters, light and easy to swing all day, and don't need mollycodling :) Of course they look very untraditional but that aside they just work, very well indeed ! :)

If you can get the sawn logs home...
Have you considered the electrical / hydraulic splitters? Save an awful lot of work. The seem very efficient?
They do take up a fair bit of space though.

E.g. this comparison

Last edited:
I'm after 2 premium brand splitting axes, short and long handled such as Hultafors etc.
Anyone bought one in a moment of 'ohhh shiny!' then find they are not really using them at all months later?!?
C'mon... you know you could use the money for summat more useful. And I could use 2 excellent axes as I'm heading towards a wood burning existence in the foreseeable. I'm willing to pay fair price and postage of course.
Regards Chris

Why not start at the top? Fiskars are okay, but these are the bees' knees: Gränsfors Bruk’s axes. Gränsfors Bruk Sweden | Handmade axes since 1902
They are divided into four different categories, based on their specific areas of use. The four categories are: Forest Axes, Splitting Axes, Log-building and Carpentry Tools and Double Bit Axes. In addition to the axes, there is also a selection of other axe related products.
If you google them you'll see they are treated with total reverence by users. And the sting of a high price is soon forgotten when the pleasure of outstanding quality lingers!
Having wanted one of these for a long time, I decided I deserve one for my birthday coming up soon, since I've then made it to 75.

1636621411923.png

Last edited:
If you are going seriously woodburning, or just like a good read, I suggest a copy of Norweigian Wood by Lars Mytting. Sections on axes, chopping blocks, stacking including some wonderful designs. Just the sort of book to read on a cold winter day as you sit in front of your wood stove.

If you are going seriously woodburning, or just like a good read, I suggest a copy of Norweigian Wood by Lars Mytting. Sections on axes, chopping blocks, stacking including some wonderful designs. Just the sort of book to read on a cold winter day as you sit in front of your wood stove.
B-b-b-but reading doesn't keep you warm on a cold winter's day! And it's only one 'i' in 'Norwegian' :)

Funny enough..... The old trigger finger has been hovering over buy direct on Hultafors axes for a good few days. That's why I posted here...
For all the premium axes and hatches I have to play with, for a day in the woods beasting logs into firewood the ones that invariably get used most are Fiskars, X21, X25 or X27. Highly effective splitters, light and easy to swing all day, and don't need mollycodling :) Of course they look very untraditional but that aside they just work, very well indeed ! :)
Thanks Paul but seeing as I'm having to sell a lot of my gear off due to a change in circumstances I thought I would invest in a nice couple of proper (and beautiful :whistle: ) axes. I make you right. If I was chopping wood all day I'd probably do the same. I might hang them on the wall on my boat inbetween use. I'm a bit sad like that. :)

If you can get the sawn logs home...
Have you considered the electrical / hydraulic splitters? Save an awful lot of work. The seem very efficient?
They do take up a fair bit of space though.

E.g. this comparison
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the effort and time. I didn't mention it so you had no way of knowing but in all likelihood I'm going to get a narrowboat of some variety.
Not sure I can fit a splitter on there!

Why not start at the top?
I have looked and the general consensus seems to be that there is not a huge amount of difference in working quality, maybe the Gransfors Bruks have a slightly better handle finish? Think they are both owned by Hultafors now anyway. The Hultafors seem cheaper. (Relative term).
After a bit of whistful pondering I reckon I'd go for the Hultafors Aby Forest axe and the splitter, both the premium ranges because... after the last few months I deserve it. Simple as that.
I've have had an
ELWELL 3370 / 9" HERTFORD ' BILLHOOK
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/elwell-3370-hertford-billhook-bill-166657540for my whole adult life. I honestly think it's the perfect pattern as the edge varies in thickness from base to end and it is a mastery of form and purpose. Mine didn't have a handle for ever until I eventually rehandled mine with a much shorter (fist size) handle as that was how I'd used it for years. Balance is perfect.

I reckon with all three in my armoury I'm covered.
Especially for burglars. 🧸

I do have a weird penchant for a couple of small bearded axes mind...
https://www.workshopheaven.com/petr...bOCu2vAUHeAS56RzzLtJgViofCHFqEMRoCz2QQAvD_BwE
Not sure why. It might be a moot point (Heeeeyyyy ! 🍻) .... And the strangest hankering to visit a monastery.... Very weird....💀😬

I've had several axes over the years and I thought my Roughneck Maul was the best, until I bought a Fiskars X25 XL. It is an excellent splitting axe and a pleasure to use.

Cheers Mike. I know it's sensible advice as always, believe me. I'm just wilfully ignoring it this time. :whistle:
That looks interesting, thanks. I used to live 'off grid' before that was a term or at least an idea I had heard of... I do know I can light a fire in my pants at 3am vodkablind drunk in a rainstorm. Good luck I have no memory so that's all we will ever hear of that sordid tale.
Ray Mears always struck me as a fat sort of survivalist in his Mums back garden tbh. although I'm certain he is a lovely fella in real life.
'And here's a lovely spoon I've scorped from applewood...' Hnnngggh
I enjoyed the man who made things out of trees by Robert Penn. I stuck it on here as a free read around but after a couple of passes it went silent....

Oh god, we'll be hearing all about your exploits soon!

'Man in narrowboat arrest for cutting down random trees along the towpaths for free fire wood! But he had a pretty axe'

😆🤣

Its a possibility Kev tbf. After the last few months I had a few moments I was glad I didn't have an axe to hand. I'm moving on to more placid pastures now mate.
But if you are going down to the Inland Waterways Association why not go out in a blaze of top quality Swedish Metal ;)

I dont think it would suit me.... it'd probably be an adventure for a couple of days, but i should think it'll be a challenge!

Sometimes life sends you a challenge Kev. 5 Months ago I was smug and satisfied and bored stupid tbf after 25 years. Now I'm looking at a new chapter old son. I wouldn't have chosen it but it's starting to get exciting. Really . What's the worse that can happen? Got my kids love and respect. I'll take that as good odds.
I've been forced to realise I was drowning off the river. Now I need to find a new life on it. I'm looking forward to... whatever.

Back