Decent hinges anyone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have changed the plan, radiused seemed good when I was going to use my 20mm router bit in a home made jig but now have the offer to use a hinge jig from Trend and that uses a 16mm bush with a 12mm cutter so square hinges is now the way forward, just will have to square those corners.

So now looking at either

https://www.morehandles.co.uk/carli...ge-double-phosphor-bronze-washered-hdpbw.html
at £8.39 pair and washered or these at £5.11 a pair with double bearings made by Zhongshan Jacou Industry Ltd

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...x-50-x-2mm-antique-polished-brass-pair-410017
I agree that for many jobs Torx is the way to go, especially for making life quick and easy but if you want that traditional look then you are stuck with the good old slotted head, yes the type you cannot rush and often end up driving the last bit home with a screwdriver so as not to mess up the head.

If you want a nice selection in stainless then look at Stainless Steel Wood Screws | Stainless Screws For Wood | 500,000+ Components | Accu® but for brass then look at Brass Wood Screws / Countersunk Head / Slotted

from Zoo hardware
I did see that product but the fact it was called Zoo hardware put me off.

Last edited:
Well I have changed the plan, radiused seemed good when I was going to use my 20mm router bit in a home made jig but now have the offer to use a hinge jig from Trend and that uses a 16mm bush with a 12mm cutter so square hinges is now the way forward, just will have to square those corners.
As I think I said earlier the Trend jigs will also work with a 20mm bit and a 24mm guide bush to give you the 10mm radius curve that you need for radiused hinges - that's how we deal with the radiused hinges on commercial jobs. Use that lots of times. The important thing is the difference in diameters between the cutter and the guide bush - which for 12/16mm and 20/24mm is the same
that

I agree that for many jobs Torx is the way to go, especially for making life quick and easy but if you want that traditional look then you are stuck with the good old slotted head, yes the type you cannot rush and often end up driving the last bit home with a screwdriver so as not to mess up the head.
Torx are great until some clown paints or lacquers over them then you'll never get the bit in the hole (on smaller recesses) - so I am wary of using them for something that may need to come off in the future

Well known brand in commercial fit-outs. Same sort of quality as other makes like Star or Arrone

Sorry - I am often excessively flippant! I do understand the liking for slotted screws in some settings.

Also I was incorrect earlier - our builder used Eclipse hinges. They do brass ones in the same style for silly-cheap.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/eclipse-...-rated-washered-hinge-102-x-76mm-2-pack/26252
Or radiused.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/eclipse-...hinges-radius-corners-102-x-76mm-2-pack/7849p

Whichever way I go I will need either a 16 or 24mm bush and my 20mm cutter is bearing guided but I do have some 12mm cutters. So just a question of radius or non-radiused hinges, but I think I have answered this without realising
by saying I am looking for the traditional look, so square hinges.

I do understand the liking for slotted screws in some settings.
I will admit that I was not impressed with driving the 4 inch 5mm slotted screws in that hold my toilet pan down, countersunk with raised head. It makes you realise how much work the poor old cordless driver has to do. It also takes me back to when there were no cordless drivers and we had to use yankees or just screwdrivers but then I was young.

I had a look at loads and went with the zoo ones because they had bearings but we're still slim knuckle. For what I was doing the "standard" ball bearing ones looked horrible.
I found the quality fine, of course never trust the supplied screws, I always fit them with carbon steel ones and swop them after fitting or just get replacements if a common size.

I have a couple of local ironmongers who will order pretty much anything and know their stuff, this is better than ordering online and being dissapointed.

Ollie

have a couple of local ironmongers who will order pretty much anything and know their stuff, this is better than ordering online and being dissapointed.
We are very limited up here, there are local Screwfix / Toolstation and some builders merchants but for more choice I need to do at least a seventy mile round trip. That is about the same to my nearest wood supplier as well so planing is important. Having emigrated from the south I do notice the lack of outlets up here and you do tend to fall back to online and hope, hence why I ask for peoples experience.

I like Carlisle brass and have found Zoo fine also, never keen on Eclipse but only because it's what Howdens Joinery stock 😂

Word of warning, I was hanging some doors for a customer just before Christmas and I recommended Carlisle Brass for the ironmongery. They bought some Carlisle Brass handle packs from Travis Perkins which contained handles, hinges and latches. The handles were fine but the hinges and latches in the packs certainly weren't Carlisle Brass/Eurospec quality. I rejected quite a few of the hinges (leaves didn't line up when closed) and 2 of the latches broke after about 5 minutes (the ends just popped out). Don't get me started on the screws, why do they even bother including them, how much more would it cost to include screws that aren't made of cheese?

I generally try and avoid the bearing type 3" hinges on internal doors because think they look awful and aren't great to fit if you are replacing a traditional butt hinge, I will check out the slim knuckle ones though 🤞

Don't get me started on the screws, why do they even bother including them, how much more would it cost to include screws that aren't made of cheese?
For some reason the suppliers think providing something is better than nothing but as we know most of the time the screws, rawlplugs, washers etc are just sub standard and don't get used so why include them. The same could be said for bandsaws, why include a shieeete blade that just damages the company reputation when most people would be happy to get it with a decent blade that allows the machine to deliver it's best. I recently fitted a new shower enclosure and that was all very good quality except the decorative bits on the top of the uprights, just absolute plastic garbage. I sourced some nice metal knobs that were slightly smaller and look so much better than the shinny plastic chrome supplied. It seems that at some point they run out of cash or get close to exceeding the assigned budget and so cut corners and chop things out so as to achieve financial target, it is how the bean counters often work and they have no perception of good engineering.

Back