Decent hinges anyone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking for some decent 3 inch hinges for some doors, would like radiused corners and preferably bronze or brass. Can anyone give any recomendations or experience of hinges that are not just asian tin please.

I'm quite astounded to see such a question from anyone who subscribes to this forum, let alone one with nearly 3000 posts!

A simple 'google' for "75mm Brass Hinges" brings up over ½ a million results for suppliers/stockists from Amazon to Toolstation going through many many lesser known names.

"Radiused corners" does naturally add a complication and I suspect is a 'bridge too far' but it is not a big deal to machine - or file or grind - a radius, if you really do need the extra complication of cutting a non-square rebate!

Were you to be looking for 10mm Brass hinges that is a very different question of course, but 3" (75mm) ??

I recently got some hinges from toolstation Search and they are good quality and price, mine are grade 13 and rated up to 120kg because I'm making an extremely heavy soundproof door that needs to be over engineered.

I'm quite astounded to see such a question from anyone who subscribes to this forum, let alone one with nearly 3000 posts!

A simple 'google' for "75mm Brass Hinges" brings up over ½ a million results for suppliers/stockists from Amazon to Toolstation going through many many lesser known names.

"Radiused corners" does naturally add a complication and I suspect is a 'bridge too far' but it is not a big deal to machine - or file or grind - a radius, if you really do need the extra complication of cutting a non-square rebate!

Were you to be looking for 10mm Brass hinges that is a very different question of course, but 3" (75mm) ??

To be honest, I struggle also to find good quality hinges that don't cost an arm. Even on some reputable online stores it can be tricky to figure out which one are good and which ones are overpriced.

I'm suprised there isnt a place selling good quality hinges for furniture makers (except classic hand tools for Brusso hinges, but quite pricey).

Try Carlisle Brass. Generally good, architectural quality, if not the cheapest and they do radiused butts. BTW standard radius is 10mm on this sort of stuff which means that if you are using Trend standard jigs you need a 24mm guide bush and a 20mm straight cutter

Last edited:
Is that not the point of these forums, it is ok to search and find something but you cannot beat experience, good or bad from others and door hanging is not something I do a lot of and would normally just use fire rated stainless hinges. Also in this pandemic I do not feel like visiting suppliers just to feel their hinges when I dare say someone round here will come up with something they have used and liked.

Is that not the point of these forums, it is ok to search and find something but you cannot beat experience, good or bad from others and door hanging is not something I do a lot of and would normally just use fire rated stainless hinges. Also in this pandemic I do not feel like visiting suppliers just to feel their hinges when I dare say someone round here will come up with something they have used and liked.

I agree here. there are certain areas that I know little about (many actually, im new to woodworking) and need peoples wisdom here to help steer me to a good decision.

I've been trying to figure out drawer runners. Loads of options to buy, cheap to expensive, many different styles. Watched loads of videos, read up heaps, but when I narrow down the choices I am going to run it past people here to sanity check my decision and to take advice.

In the past when I purchased hinges, I just bought a load of varieties, using the shotgun approach to find a good one. Going forward I'll save time and energy and just ask here first for others wisdom.

...it is not a big deal to machine - or file or grind - a radius, if you really do need the extra complication of cutting a non-square rebate!
Commercially made radiused hinges have a more or less standard radius of 10mm in Europe/UK, so if you are matching existing or using a router jig (which is surely what they were designed for) it makes sense to find a product which is ready to use out of the box, does it not? They are available, but they are also less common than square cornered hinges in my experience

if you really do need the extra complication of cutting a non-square rebate!
With a router and 20mm cutter you get the 10mm radius, with a square hinge you need to remove this radius but have a radiused hinge and it saves work.

This now raises the question of if it was such a good idea then why are there not more radiused hinges available !!! I have seen some very large stainless hinges used in a commercial setting with large radiused corners but there must be others.

That's the main setting for them - I think it's a cost/efficiency thing in the main, but also square corners are less likely to be done as neatly when you have teams installing in quantity at speed

As to why they are less common, I honestly can't say, but a bugbear of mine is how inefficient and conservative the whole construction industry is in the UK as a whole and that is probably part of it. Have you ever seen the sorts of hinges they use in Spain? I can just imagine the amount of moaning I'd get if I were to hand some of those out - and then resulting installation quality from some guys

Spanish Drop On Hinge.png

Last edited:
I think these from Ironmongery direct look like they will be suitable, upto 30Kg and no corners to square off. I do like those recessed ones and I suppose like many things in the UK we get stuck in a rut and don't look any further, always the easy option.

1642002117250.png

As to why they are less common, I honestly can't say, but a bugbear of mine is how inefficient and conservative the whole construction industry is in the UK as a whole and that is probably part of it.
I visited a builders merchants today for the first time in years, I had forgotten just how depressing they are, I eventually got served and no, they don’t do it!

I think these from Ironmongery direct look like they will be suitable, upto 30Kg and no corners to square off. I do like those recessed ones and I suppose like many things in the UK we get stuck in a rut and don't look any further, always the easy option.

View attachment 126719
We have the steel unradiused version of these all through the house, and they do exactly what you'd want of a hinge. Smooth and silent.

Just because someone posts a lot, doesn’t mean they know a lot, in fact, looking at the most prolific, it’s almost like…. ;)

Just because someone posts a lot, doesn’t mean they know a lot, in fact, looking at the most prolific, it’s almost like…. ;)
Just posted loads, about to take a fence..... do you know how to put up a fence;)

This now raises the question of if it was such a good idea then why are there not more radiused hinges available !!!

Guess because they are easier to fit if you have all the gear (rights sized bits etc) but harder to fit if you don't.

I think radiused hinges give things the mass produced/unskilled look, they are okay in the right setting but I generally prefer a more traditional look.

Guess because they are easier to fit if you have all the gear (rights sized bits etc) but harder to fit if you don't.

I think radiused hinges give things the mass produced/unskilled look, they are okay in the right setting but I generally prefer a more traditional look.
Yes, the other thing I stay well clear of is Phillips/ Pozi screws on what would otherwise be top quality furniture, really let’s it down.

I like the Eurospec (part of Carlisle brass I think ) thrust bearing ones, not sure the come in 75mm brass though. I use the100mm stainless grade 14 on heavy doors often.
The thrust bearings are neater looking than the fat ones.
I also recently used some 75mm slim knuckle bearing hinges from Zoo hardware which were nice and neat but again stainless.

Ollie

Back