Decent brand of general purpose/wood screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pays your money and takes your choice I guess. I've been using a lot of plain R2 panheads on something I'm doing on the house lately, they are a little slow.

Sorry thought the thread had been deleted. I was advised not to use Spax type screw because when using rawl plugs they ruin them when driving in.
Cheers
I’ve been using Spax screws and Fischer Duopower plugs pretty much exclusively for about a decade, and have had no issues whatsoever. This was for paying customers, who would certainly have mentioned it if their cabinetry was falling off the walls. 🤷‍♂️👍

Fischer Duopower plugs
Not used that type but only use Fischer nylon plugs, mainly UX and SX and both the rimmed version that sits flush and un rimmed that can be pushed into the hole. I can still remember the days of the old brown fluffy plugs, I bet Peter started out with these and also having to use wooden plugs in bad holes and the plastic coloured plugs that were pretty useless, really amazing that we have progressed so far in so many other areas yet simple wall plugs took so much longer to reach maturity!

I use Spax mostly and have had no problems with Fischer Duopower plugs. I also have quite a good stock of Axminster Woodspur brand and am very happy with them.

I quite like Spax for more non run of the mill screws but for pozi headed ordinary ones, I've had a few too many with dodgy heads that seem too soft and strip out when the going gets a bit a tough.

I quite like the Tite range of screws.
I use the hinge tite and the normal screw tite ones.
I find they are decent quality and I prefer the countersink on the heads.
A lot of screws seem to have oddly shaped bevels to the head.
Spax and reisser are good too.

Ollie

Back