December Challenge / What happened - 2012 ??????????????????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012 challeng Yes or NO

• I think the Challenge has run its course end it

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I want it to continue for 2012 as it was in 2011

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Keep it going with tighter rules for 2012

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
monkeybiter":j49diog0 said:
Doesn't it seem a bit strange that someone would vote to end something they don't have to be a part of? Killjoy? Everything on the forum is [obviously] free and optional. Not taking part is the 'default setting'. Wanting to stop other people doing something you're not involved in or affected by seems rather unpleasant to me.

Hear hear =D> =D> well said.

I would just like to say congrats to the winner, if you get to the top over a period of as year then your must be the best. Well done.....

Also to the organisers and judges, never an easy job so a great big thank you as well.

I am very happy that we will be continuing this year to the challenge because i for one want to improve my skills and learn from the more experienced forum members.

Happy New Year Everyone, hope you have a great 2012...

Jim

monkeybiter":3g6sh7oj said:
Doesn't it seem a bit strange that someone would vote to end something they don't have to be a part of? Killjoy? Everything on the forum is [obviously] free and optional. Not taking part is the 'default setting'. Wanting to stop other people doing something you're not involved in or affected by seems rather unpleasant to me.

the reality of the modern web world is that you would expect 10% in a registered environment, and 20% in a non-registered one - however that doesn't really have any significance to your point (which I 100% agree with)... =D>

Congratulations to everyone involved. I'm sure that people have improved over the year.
Even though it's been stressful at times rushing to get my entry finished (bad planning leaving it to the last minute, especially in December!) I've enjoyed taking part.

I originally voted to tighten the rules but have come round to the idea of keeping it as open as possible - as others have said, there'll always be ways to bend them unless they are rediculously strict. Keeping them relaxed will hopefully encourage more people to take part, which was the original idea behind the competition.

Thanks to Blister for running it. It was nice to get a plaque one month, but a simple certificate would surfice and would minimise costs. I know Blister has said that he doesn't mind paying, but could we not all agree on a certificate and let him spend the money on wood or tools :D

duncanh":jnuzgo4p said:
I originally voted to tighten the rules but have come round to the idea of keeping it as open as possible - as others have said, there'll always be ways to bend them unless they are rediculously strict. Keeping them relaxed will hopefully encourage more people to take part, which was the original idea behind the competition.

:D

Part of the appeal of the challenge has been the reveal and seeing the array of interpretations is, to me, a big part of the experience as I unashamedly take ideas and inspirations to try other ideas. If the rules were too tight I fear that it would be a technical test alone. The whole experience has been a huge personal development and i would not wish to deny anyone coming to it this challenge the pleasure and development it has given me.

Having been humbled to have won three months challenges in the course of the year it is easy for onlookers to say what is the point of joining in because they will look to that and say what's the point of competing when you have these "experienced" turners competing. Let me remind anyone so minded to say such things that I statrted turning, self taught in July 2010. I know several of the other winners are also comparatively new to turning.

My message is embrace and enjoy the challenge and get stuck in. As with all things, the more you put in - the more you get out.

Back