Dear Minister

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't you wish that you had written this?

Dear Minister,
I'm in the process of renewing my passport but I am a total loss to understand or believe the hoops I am being asked to jump through.

How is it that Bert Smith of T.V. Rentals Basingstoke has my address and telephone number and knows that I bought a satellite dish from them back in 1994, and yet, the Government is still asking me where I was born and on what date?

How come that nice Scottish chappy who comes round every Thursday night with his DVD rentals van can tell me every film or video I have had out since he started his business up eleven years ago, yet you still want me to remind you of my last three jobs, two of which were with contractors working for the government?

How come the T.V. detector van can tell if my T.V. is on, what channel I am watching and whether I have paid my licence or not, and yet if I win the government run lottery they have no idea I have won or where I am and will keep the bloody money to themselves if I fail to claim in good time. Do you people do this by hand?

You have my birth date on numerous files you hold on me, including the one with all the income tax forms I've filed for the past 30-odd years. It's on my national insurance card, my driver's licence, on the last four passports I've had, on all those stupid customs declaration forms I've had to fill out before being allowed off the planes and boats over the last 30 years, and all those insufferable census forms that are done every ten years and the electoral registration forms I have to complete, by law, every time our lords and masters are up for re-election.

Would somebody please take note, once and for all, I was born in Maidenhead on the 4th of March 1957, my mother's name is Mary, her maiden name was Reynolds, my father's name is Robert, and I'd be absolutely astounded if that ever changed between now and the day I die!

I apologise Minister. I'm obviously not myself this morning. But between you and me, I have simply had enough! You mail the application to my house, and then you ask me for my address. What is going on? Do you have a gang of Neanderthals working there? Look at my damn picture. Do I look like Bin Laden? I don't want to activate the Fifth Reich for God's sake! I just want to go and park my weary backside on a sunny, sandy beach for a couple of week's well-earned rest away from all this rubbish.

Well, I have to go now, because I have to go to back to Salisbury and get another copy of my birth certificate because you lost the last one. AND to the tune of 60 quid! What a racket THAT is!! Would it be so complicated to have all the services in the same spot to assist in the issuance of a new passport the same day? But nooooo, that'd be too damn easy and maybe make sense. You'd rather have us running all over the place like chickens with our heads cut off, then find some twit to confirm that it's really me on the goddamn picture - you know... the one where we're not allowed to smile in in case we look as if we are enjoying the process!
Hey, you know why we can't smile? 'Cause we're totally jacked off!

I served in the armed forces for more than 25 years including over ten years at the Ministry of Defence in London. I have had security clearances which allowed me to sit in the Cabinet Office, five seats away from the Prime Minister while he was being briefed on the first Gulf War and I have been doing volunteer work for the British Red Cross ever since I left the Services. However, I have to get someone 'important' to verify who I am -- you know, someone like my doctor... who, before he got his medical degree 6 months ago WAS LIVING IN WALES...

Yours sincerely,
An Irate British Citizen.

So funny; you forgot to have a go at travellers, single mums and eastern europeans.
Do I wish I had written that? no I dont I am embarassed to see a useful internet forum contaminated by that kind of racist nonsense.

A slight over reaction me thinks. What 'Racist nonsense' exactly? Nonsense, maybe to some but, 'Racist Nonsense' ?? Rubbish.

"However, I have to get someone 'important' to verify who I am -- you know, someone like my doctor... who, before he got his medical degree 6 months ago WAS LIVING IN PAKISTAN."
"How come that nice West African immigrant chappy "

This is the kind of casual low level racism that Britain is riddled with, low level yes, but it does indicate a degree of intolerance. People dont even realise they are doing it. On most forums this would lead to a ban or suspension. There is room for humour, hell we need it but not in this form.

Is it a generational thing? I doubt it, I am 50 years old myself and hear it all over the place. What do the moderators think?

I am not a political correctness nutter just a member of the human race who believes in respect.

chunkolini":3mzfvzcb said:
"However, I have to get someone 'important' to verify who I am -- you know, someone like my doctor... who, before he got his medical degree 6 months ago WAS LIVING IN PAKISTAN."
"How come that nice West African immigrant chappy "
I see your point but don't agree that it is necessarily racist. Their use is merely to demonstrate or enforce the logic, or lack of, that is the reason for the rant.

No it is racist, it is picking on somebody's country of origin and using it make a point about something else. It is endemic in Britain and it aint funny.
The rant itself may have had a point but the issues raised make it a waste of space.

Has anybody ever seen a TV detector van?

I fear to differ, the definition of racism is as follows;

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/
Noun:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

The OP is not discriminating against the doctors race in any form merely pointing out the flaws in British law which allow the doctor to sign the photo. I bet had he said the doctor was German or French the issue of racism would not of arose.

In fact we are all members of the human race.
But typically it was a West African and a Pakistani that were highlighted, and in that negatively loaded context I probably would have said something.
I could not give a fig where anybody comes from but would not comment on it in that style and do not expect to hear it in this kind of environment..
Sounds as though the OP was a 'bit stressed' but that does not justify this kind of thing.
Thats all from me folks.

chunkolini":2eclfzse said:
No it is racist, it is picking on somebody's country of origin and using it make a point about something else. It is endemic in Britain and it aint funny.
The rant itself may have had a point but the issues raised make it a waste of space.

Has anybody ever seen a TV detector van?

It isn't racist at all! It doesn't even say what nationality the doctor is even if the suggestion is there for heavens sake :roll: Only says "was living in Pakistan".
and how is the phrase "nice West African immigrant chappie" a degrading comment?

This particular item has been around for a long time and posted in a lighthearted manner, but then I almost forgot - didn't you accuse me of racism over a post I made in a similar vein:- ( UK TAX GUIDANCE )
Yawn. More boring racist foreigner bashing, a stream of hopless negative consciousness. is this supposed to be amusing?
Sounds all to familiar.

I would be very surprised if the OP meant to be racist in any way and having renewed my passport just a few months ago it certainly has a little ring of truth about it.

You clearly have strong feelings which you are entitled to but that doesn't mean the rest of us are racist (you wouldn't say that if you met some of my mates - ONE OF WHOM IS AN IRISH PAKISTANI SENIOR DOCTOR :lol: - He's seen this and it didn't offend him )

Life is too short - no offence intended but maybe lighten up a little wouldn't hurt ?

Bob

BTW - Detector vans do operate - Like hedgehogs - most likely seen out and about in the dark :lol:

I renewed my families passports recently and found it extremely easy, although rather expensive.

I'd suggest from the opening letter that the guy writing it was typical of the hierarchic rank system of the armed forces, sounds like he had a top forces job but bu**er all brains, probably went to the right schools and rogered the right people during his schooling and university years.
Terrified of "Jonny foreigner".

Just my twopence :lol:

By your definition (Mr O'lini, whom I imagine must have Italian lineage, otherwise the ending to username might be considered racist), living as an Englander up in Scotlandshire, I have experienced a considerable amount of racism directed towards me. Do I let it raise my blood pressure? No. Do I whinge and whine to the racial equality board (or whomever)? No. Do I take it as intended, a lighthearted joke? Yes. Do I respond in kind? Most definitely.
Wind yer neck in a little (as a Northern Irish friend once said), and as Lons put perhaps a little more eloquently, life is too short.

Adam S

As a slight digression, it is an unfortunate (for those strict adherents to political correctness) fact that certain characteristics of a person are determined by their race. If you need evidence, just look at the line up for a 100m sprint final. I realise this is a contentious thing to say, but occasionally the truth is not pleasing to everyone.

Kalimna":1qb2jjoh said:
By your definition (Mr O'lini, whom I imagine must have Italian lineage, otherwise the ending to username might be considered racist), living as an Englander up in Scotlandshire, I have experienced a considerable amount of racism directed towards me. Do I let it raise my blood pressure? No. Do I whinge and whine to the racial equality board (or whomever)? No. Do I take it as intended, a lighthearted joke? Yes. Do I respond in kind? Most definitely.
Wind yer neck in a little (as a Northern Irish friend once said), and as Lons put perhaps a little more eloquently, life is too short.

Adam S

As a slight digression, it is an unfortunate (for those strict adherents to political correctness) fact that certain characteristics of a person are determined by their race. If you need evidence, just look at the line up for a 100m sprint final. I realise this is a contentious thing to say, but occasionally the truth is not pleasing to everyone.

How on earth did you sneak past Hadrians wall :lol:

I'm surrounded by Scots and Irish and characteristics are definately there. The Scots guys I know are a little dour and a couple are more than a bit tight - and proud of it :lol: ( I put it down to lack of sun and being waterlogged ). The Irish lads have a great sense of humour and are the first to crack a joke about their nationality and would give you their last quid. None more so than my golf pro who like you, gives as good as he gets and with a smile on his face. ( especially as he takes my money :roll: )

If PC goes much further, anyone showing pride in their nationality will be considered racist - oh we are already.

BTW, I'm half Austrian (mothers side) but considered English as I was only 9 months old when moving back to the UK. If we go back far enough, we are all "halfbreeds" are we not? :)

Bob

ps:- I have a photo of the French soccer team in the 60s I think, all white players then much more recent all black. Don't know how accurate and I see nothing wrong with that as it's about ability not skin colour but if I posted them I bet I would get a pretty torrid response non the less :wink:

pps:- I hate Italians (well not really the people or the country), just the corrupt police who conned me into parking and then fined me for my trouble. They won't get any more of my tourist Euros. Am I allowed to say that?

Being Jewish I have experienced racism but I still work to the same principle, insults etc are only insults if intended as such.

a member of the human race who believes in respect.

Of course, so was any disrespect intended? See my first comment.

Roy.

Digit":jwade2wk said:
Of course, so was any disrespect intended? See my first comment.
Roy.
It's a no brainer Roy, I found the OP extremely funny and it made me laugh out loud so much that my two dogs came in to see what was up :roll: In case I've never mentioned it before I can usually (at this time of year) go Monday to Friday without seeing another human (Apart from SWMBO and the post lady) and after reading some of the comments above I can only say thank God I don't have to put up with that nonsense anymore :lol:

I think that the whole point here has been missed and that chunkolini has missed it too. The point to me is that a person (PC) who 'should' be respected and recognized as a totally solid citizen of the U.K. had been told, not asked, to go to someone who has probably been in the country for a few months to vouch for him!

I too would be peed off if I were in the same situation!

So chunkolini I would respectively suggest that you stand back and take your PC glasses off? I haven't used a capitol C for your name because you don't seem to think it's needed?

Just as a matter of interest, do you know what the car registration for the Pakistan ambassador is on his nice Roller? Hows about PAK1 ...

I think the original post hilarious. It is so true.

I do how ever find the massive over reaction to it amazing. I had to re read it a few times and i still dont get the rascism within it. You have to be a rascist to see rascism i think.

The biggest dig is at the minister so does that become Ministerism?

By the way im going bald...dont do those jokes as i take it badly. Honestly !!!

Latest posts

Back