Dealing with winter workshop conditions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning all,
How do you guys deal with making stuff in a winter workshop with winter levels of moisture and then taking the items you have made into a dry home environment only to find the piece twists,cups or bows.
I have just made a table with an 800mm wide solid top using 6 equal width boards only to find some have cupped by up to 2mm.
Any help or advice to solve this problem would be appreciated.

I'd suggest if using rough sawn boards scrub planning first then gluing up indoors, leave to accimatise to the dry centrally heated house and then a final planning.

Cheers James

I keep the workshop at around 15 degrees c & the dehumidifier keeps the humidity at around 40%, I keep timber in the workshop for as long as possible before making a project.
If I’m cutting timber out of large sections of wood I’ll plane the pieces I want over sized & leave them to acclimatise for a good few weeks then check with a moisture meter.
My own dining table is made from 3 planks of air dried Olive Ash which started out over 350mm wide I got this down to 3% moisture before making the top & so far, fingers crossed, in two years there’s has been no movement.

Back