Dealing with timber yard (Hymor in Stoke) can't just get basic pricing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can i ask where in Bristol? im fairly new to the area and looking for decent timber yards
From Corsham, Yandles in Martock is well worth a trip out. Make sure your vehicle is empty and your wallet full And allow an hour at least to mooch around. I can loose myself there for two hours at time In the wood store and shop.

Ok, been down this afternoon - big sign on the gate that said collections by appointment only :(

Anyway, I donned my hard hat, parked up and went in.

Managed to get chatting to a great chap who explained how things work - still dont get to see a price per cube, but I need to give a list of the sizes I want, and they then look through their stock list, and find a suitable board to get that out of, then charge me for the whole board (that's how I understood it anyway!?)

There is no looking at boards in the warehouse due to covid - they used to allow it, but have had to stop for the time being.

As such, im going to email a list in of a few timbers in a few thicknesses and lengths and they will tell me how much - and hopefully what size board I will actually receive so I can then work out what the price per cube is.

certainly seems to be a novel way of trading - do I seem to have the right end of the stick here, and how many timber yards operate? He did admit they aren't really geared up for retail as they sell to trade and large orders.

I did get a quick look around the warehouse in a couple of isles to show me what I would expect in terms of sizes and stuff which was useful.

does seem a bit strange - not sure that is ideal from your perspective - however, the reality is that they will probably have systems which work for the majority of their customers, and if you don't fall into that bracket...

pricing is strange - some companies of this nature have this practice because effectively they don't have a fixed price, but will price by customer based on volume of business you do with them, however most would have a starting point and then give regulars a discount - so it does seem strange to not have basic prices...

it is interesting watching how businesses have adapted to Covid (or not!) there is no reason at all why a timber merchant needs to be running their business all that differently to pre-covid - they generally have the space to keep people 2m apart, and with masks etc. it is not all that difficult to run almost exactly as they used to - yet so many just shut up shop at the first hint of lockdown and are only slowly coming back to anything like normal - most bizarre.

ultimately I guess you have to decide whether you jump through the hoops or look elsewhere for supplies...

you may well find that your cutting boards work out quite expensive- they are frequently made from offcuts so you will see some being sold for less than it will cost you to buy a board or two.

Yeah, I’ll see what comes back with pricing and then go from there I guess, I’m just glad that I actually get what I pay for, initially I thought they would cut out what I wanted from a board, scrap the rest but still charge me for it!!

it may hurt a bit when I want walnut which is expensive and all they have its 10ft boards that are 8 inch by 2 inch which I’m calculating to be around £115 which is too much for me in one go when I need that plus some other boards.

Yeah, I’m not specifically buying for the boards as I’ve read that somewhere else too, not to sell anyways, but seems like family are looking for Xmas presents!! I just feel uncomfortable not being able to see something and knowing how much it is. I seen another chap who does these boards for a living but he buys it in such large quantities that it must pay ok for him to do that.

have you looked on the timber yard thread, there may be somewhere else local to you. it is harder to do what you are doing with a bit of this and maybe a bit of that. If you are buying oak for a wardrobe, you know exactly what you need rather than wanting to see what it looks like. You can go straight to the stack of 1" oak.

I struggle near me, but British hardwoods is 20 miles away (45 mins though). They are great in that you can see the price per cube, look at the boards, they will even bring you a cup of tea whilst you search through the boards.

Given the process that you described, I would go for a road trip somewhere else. establish a relationship with somebody who you look forward to visiting, even if it is a few boards here and there. Like I said before, British Hardwoods relieve me of a couple of hundred quid a year, I am not paying for the champagne at the AGM, but they have been beyond helpful in the past.

this place looked interesting, and must be within reach if you plan the trip. Sawn timber price list - TreeStation I haven't been but somebody mentioned it on here and was impressed.

when they say no-one in the yard - how are they doing any sales? Are they letting you into the shop / parking and then they get the wood?
If so, pop down and chat to them - most companies are quite friendly when chatting face to face - and if they are not, you will soon realise that they are not the company for you!

when I bought wood the other day in Bristol, there was no issue with my going with them into the timber store - however, it was all masks on and keeping a distance etc. - so it can be done, just depends on the company... that company also put prices p/m on their website

could you send them a list of what you want for a quote - ultimately, does it matter to you particularly what shape the wood has come from if you get what you want and the price is right...?
Which yard were you at?

From Corsham, Yandles in Martock is well worth a trip out. Make sure your vehicle is empty and your wallet full And allow an hour at least to mooch around. I can loose myself there for two hours at time In the wood store and shop.
Been to yandles a few times and dont think at any time i escaped without my bank being lighter, luckily for me they don't carry the range of my old local (Axminster) or i would really be in trouble :) what i did find a few days ago there was some very nice BE Maple which i snapped up! was going to goto valley sawmills today but they closed at 3pm and i was too late :(

right I know hymor and have an account. they are definitely a trade based business and like to milk retail a bit. they are even worse since covid. you have to pre order and they pick whatever comes up. then you roll up and pay. I definitely have trust issues with them tbh and try and avoid them if at all possible(use heaths in leek) that being said hymor do have black walnut( which is always straight edged)
I don't know but I always am shocked by how much I pay whereas at heaths I already know such is the pricing.
for your job I would not buy from these places. they are really for big joinery places. try wildwood timber Peover.youd probably get british walnut which is more interesting and...sexy

Thanks, I read on here about heaths, I think from one of your posts too. They don’t seem to have a website, are they a big supplier like hymor? Can you turn up and browse there, will also research the wildwood place too

have you looked on the timber yard thread, there may be somewhere else local to you. it is harder to do what you are doing with a bit of this and maybe a bit of that. If you are buying oak for a wardrobe, you know exactly what you need rather than wanting to see what it looks like. You can go straight to the stack of 1" oak.

I struggle near me, but British hardwoods is 20 miles away (45 mins though). They are great in that you can see the price per cube, look at the boards, they will even bring you a cup of tea whilst you search through the boards.

Given the process that you described, I would go for a road trip somewhere else. establish a relationship with somebody who you look forward to visiting, even if it is a few boards here and there. Like I said before, British Hardwoods relieve me of a couple of hundred quid a year, I am not paying for the champagne at the AGM, but they have been beyond helpful in the past.

this place looked interesting, and must be within reach if you plan the trip. Sawn timber price list - TreeStation I haven't been but somebody mentioned it on here and was impressed.

thanks, I’d not seen that one, they don’t seem to have walnut, but worth a look for the others.

Last edited:
appreciate

thanks, I’d not seen that one, they don’t seem to have walnut, but worth a look for the others.

I believe that they are more into the urban salvage side of things so you won't get imported timber in there. It is a place that is on my list when I go over that way but I haven't needed to do so during the week for 12 months or more.

Rorton, where in Manchester sells black walnut? Most of the yards here seem to be aimed at the building trade, so softwood and cheap hardwoods abound.

International Timber and Illingworth Ingham are two that spring to mind that will have Walnut however I don't know the pricing policies or minimum order levels.

thanks for the replies, I think I just need to re-adjust my head into how timber is purchased

Id just hate to buy some American Black walnut, and have to pay for waste that gets cut off and that I could use

For example, im making a small batch of cutting boards, so based on these, the lengths I need are in multiples of 600mm - I can work with what ever width and height I can get to make the boards.

Ive asked for a price on an 8ft x 6" x 1" board to give me an idea of pricing - ive seen a timber yard in Manchester who has similar boards for £34.80, so at least I know what I can get out of it, and what it will cost me - ive asked for a price for a similar board and see what comes back

So far, ive just been buying specific boards that ive seen, and then use them how I see fit

Collection is OK, but customers only in the office by the look of it (at the moment, due to covid is what they are saying)
I have just looked up my local supplier here in London and the price for an 8ft x 6" x 1" Black Walnut is £57.52, so it seems to be a lot cheaper up north

heaths are more approachable ie a couple of blokes you tell them what you want and they get it chop it you pay etc.
hymor are more you tell a chap in a suit he tells the yard foreman who tells a forklift driver and the reverse for payment! I'm not saying there a bad company just don't service your market well. if you were buying £5000 a month they would be perfect. also they are really mostly import stuff. the best (most interesting) timber always comes from smaller cut there own places imho

International Timber and Illingworth Ingham are two that spring to mind that will have Walnut however I don't know the pricing policies or minimum order levels.
Illingworth Ingham are fairly pricey for hardwoods IME - it was they who came in at near twice the price of Hymor for me, and they didn't have stock, which might be why they were pricey). I was buying some Utile, so playing to an importer like Hymor's strengths I guess.

I've not tried International Timber - worth a look.

Ok, im getting closer to understanding now...

Had some pricing back, and for example, 2" Thick Hard Maple, 140mm wide board is £36+ vat, 2" American Black Walnut 120mm wide £66 + vat - now the bit im still struggling with is the length...

there is a funny number which depicts the length - ie 1/2.440 or 1/3.660

I asked for pricing based on 2.1m board, told I will get longer than this so my finish size is what was requested (no problem with that)

Conscious im really going to start annoying the guy with my new person questions, I initially asked this...

"Could you tell me what the 1/2.440 or 1/3.000 means on the items? Is that the board length - so for example 1/2.440 means you need to cut a 440cm board in half to obtain the size"

Reply was

"This is the length, and North America is still very much imperial, hence a 2.44m is 8’ long, usually when we offer this, it has come in as an 8’
rather than us cutting in half'

I can't work out what this means

Im told one line item (some Cherry) is only available in a 3.66m board @ 2" so the line item for Cherry is 152mm (wide) then 1/3.660

That board is £68.00 + vat

Any idea what this 1/2 and 1/3 stuff means?

1/2.44 is 1 length at 2.44m long

It is a tally, so if you had a more complex cutting list they might have sent you

3/3.0, 6/3.6, 1/4.2
You would have got 10 pieces in all.

Latest posts

Back