Dealing with scrolling dust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreco99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just about to start using my new (and 1st ever) scroll saw in a small space in the garage. I am undecided on how to deal with the potential dangerous dust I will make.
I have watched many videos and youtube advise articles, from dust extractors to shop vacs to different face masks combos. Everyone has different ideas.

What is the best thing to do? I need to get on and do something.

Thanks
Simon

starting out just use the house vac with a good bag and filter. See how it goes and then get something better if needed

Thats like saying ride your new motor cycle around for a while to see if you like it, before buying a crash helmet.
A standard vacuum cleaner may not extract enough or the size of dust that causes illness.

Thanks but i'd rather approach safety a bit more seriously to start with.

Mreco99":2e7h3dsf said:
Thats like saying ride your new motor cycle around for a while to see if you like it, before buying a crash helmet........

No it's not. The suggestion wasn't to use no extraction at all, which is the implication from your really poor analogy.

I did suggest that you put in a suitable filter and bag in the vacuum. You may find that your hoover is then sufficient to collect the dust. If not, then obviously get a better hoover.
I have dust extraction from large industrial units(3 phase monster origanally from a saw mill) down to a 1980s tube body Meile hoover fitted with HEPA filters and 0.3 micron bags for my scroll saw (an EX30)

Thanks for that.
So you use a Miele for scroll saw? be interested to see how that's rigged up?

the ex30 has dust extraction port under the table, the nozzle from the vacuum is plugged into it via a rubber adaptor and i get bags on amazon

Do you do any dust collection from the top?
(mine has a dust port at the bottom too)

Camvac all set up, really pleased with it. Its not too noisy, collects the dust well. Very happy.

Did you ever resolve you dust collection problem?
If you did, I would like to know what you used, or are using. I'm planning to upgrade and or change mine to something a bit better. Just surfing around and getting ideals together.
Have A Great Day.

I have a similar problem. I use my scroll saw in the garage which is also the laundry room so dust is a no no. I have jerry rigged top and bottom extraction using vacuum hose and bits, 40mm tubing and 3/4 inch Loc Line. Very Heath Robinson but it works. I also found, on my Hegner, the normal dust collection too low and raised mine nearer the table. The cyclone is the smallest I could find and I can really recommend it. Have enclosed some images - hope they help.

Attachments

• Dust-1.jpg
    Dust-1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Dust-2.jpg
    Dust-2.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Dust-3.jpg
    Dust-3.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
Back