Dealing with dowelling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
I need your help, I need to have a few dowels in my workshop for a few projects i do from time to time like making toys etc.
The dowels i will need could be any size in diameter depending on what i want at the time but the length could be any length but up to 1/2 a meter in length.
I wonder which is the best option? To just buy dowels when i need them in meter lengths which can be limiting sometimes if they only have the one wood or not the wood you require or to buy a dowelling plate or some Veritas Dowel Cutters, or maybe another way.
Don't really fancy making them on the lathe unless they are fairly large in diameter as they would flex too much when turning them.
Is there is another way of making dowelling if anyone has any ideas of how to help me or can recommend which way is the best or most cost effective way of making them i would be very greatful.
Thanks Tim

buy them from somebody like www.plugitdowel.co.uk I have just bought a few lengths and they are very fair on postage and gave excellent service.

Dowel plates are designed for making dowels for joints. I doubt that you could make a 1/2m length but I may be wrong. By the time that you spend 20 quid on a plate, and buy some stock, make the dowel etc it would be cheaper to buy a length.

Cutters may work, but would be expensive for a full set- again cheaper to buy it it.

If you dont want too much money tied up in every size and species of dowel, limit the types of timber you use in the toys, or make it a feature- use a contrasting dark dowel in a light wood, and a light on e in a dark wood.

marcros":1lf514nd said:
Dowel plates are designed for making dowels for joints. I doubt that you could make a 1/2m length but I may be wrong......
You are right. Good for short lengths say up to 3" and rough surface. Ideal for pegging joints but no good as finished pieces.
If you only want the odd length they are not difficult to make by hand. Basically draw a circle at each end of your square section blank, then carefully join them up with planes and sanding. Easiest if you do it systematically - take off corners to make an octagonal section, then again to make a 16 sided section, at which point sanding will probably finish it off. A full length v shaped jig would help.

A quick search on Youtube for "how to make dowel" turns up plenty of options. Won't link because I'm not sure of the copyright status of the videos featuring UKW contributors.

Drill and router table method looks good.

marcros":bl7zagnn said:
buy them from somebody like http://www.plugitdowel.co.uk I have just bought a few lengths and they are very fair on postage and gave excellent service.

What he said.

Bought from them numerous times, good service, and good prices too, considering there is no minimum.

I'm sure you local B&Q will sell ramin dowelling suitable for what you want

Latest posts

Back