Dead Walnut Tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pops92

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice please.
A friend as a huge walnut tree that as just give up and uprooted its self. Reason looks to be it's dead.
Question I am asking is this good for turning? As it's dead but not rotten it it already seasoned.
Any input welcome on this please.

As long as the wood is solid there is no reason why you should not use it. Depending on how thick the tree is will depend on how dry it may be that once you start to work with it you may find it still wet in the middle. Walnut can appear to be solid as any rotting that takes place may make certain areas softer than others.
This is some from a tree that has been down for quite a time and has started to spalt areas of it were softish and needed stabilising with sander sealer in this case.

DSCF0664 (800x593).jpg
DSCF0671 (800x597).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0664 (800x593).jpg
    DSCF0664 (800x593).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 682
  • DSCF0671 (800x597).jpg
    DSCF0671 (800x597).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 698
Thanks for that.
The trunk is over 3ft dia with lots of good wood by the look of it. Thinking of buying a electric chain saw to get some of it.

Attachments

• 20191119_105428-612x816.jpg
    20191119_105428-612x816.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 665
Walnut is good for turning. It looks as though the trunk is hollow, so it will already have some salted and soft area. Certainly get a chainsaw, take the bits you want for turning. The branches might be better than what’s left of the trunk. Cut the rest for firewood.

My guess is there's some wonderful wood in there for turning. I even checked your location but way too far from me. Are you a turner? If so, and assuming you're not a tree surgeon, I'd pay someone to reduce it to sizes you can store and turn. If the trunk's solid (it looks like it's off picture to the right?) it may be worth milling into boards that you can cut into rounds for turning, or even keep as boards?

Walnut is really nice timber to turn, but I will second what has already been said. If you are not experienced in using a chainsaw, then get in an expert in who is. If the main trunk is sound then it could well be worth getting someone in with a portable mill to cut the trunk into planks and slabs for seasoning, and subsequent turning.

I will be passing by, near-ish, in December. It would be great to have some of the wood if there's some cut up by then.

Can't offer chainsaw services I'm afraid.

Roland":gig38quk said:
Walnut is good for turning. It looks as though the trunk is hollow, so it will already have some salted and soft area

My (limited) experience of walnut is that the dark heartwood rots away quite quickly leaving the less interesting outer light wood intact. Don't get too excited until you've cut some to see what is within !

RickG":2b85q07s said:
I will be passing by, near-ish, in December. It would be great to have some of the wood if there's some cut up by then.

Can't offer chainsaw services I'm afraid.
I've got 3 of us with 2 chain saws going to help him cut some of the branches away Friday afternoon for a couple of hours. This all depends on the guy who owns the tree not changing his mind. Got your email,if it goes ahead I will let you know.

Walnut can have some amazing grain within, That said, Turkish walnut us the best ever as it's so dry, It takes years to mature then has some fab grain, I was told this by a seller of top end shotguns at a gunshow!

Walnut is favoured for gun stocks as it's lightweight by compaison with beech, It also looks nicer!

Here's a couple of mine..
iD0Sprp.jpg

aRFutHW.jpg

aYPibCM.jpg

It's also nicer to refinish rubbing oil in to it rather than blasting acrylic lacquer at it!!

john :p

Roland":sdqlaaal said:
Walnut is good for turning. It looks as though the trunk is hollow, so it will already have some salted and soft area. Certainly get a chainsaw, take the bits you want for turning. The branches might be better than what’s left of the trunk. Cut the rest for firewood.
Be very, very careful about using a chain saw if you're not familiar with them. Just about the most dangerous powered tool you can use; personally they give me nightmares! - Rob

Back