Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Dead end searches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Now don't get me wrong. Charlie I think what you do, have done and provide is just great. This may look like a complaint buts its really just a rant. About what I hear you ask.

The Bl**dy search function thats what. I find that whatever I put in to search against turns up far too many unrelated articles. I was just trying to search for recommended books but got 48 + pages of threads let alone messages..ouch.

Now either I am doing something wrong or there is a problem with the search facility.....go one tell me it's me. By the way, I am no IT illiterate having earned my living as a Programme Manager come Business Analyst for 25+ years...but arrrrggggh.

I guess that storing the archive in a more useful form is a bit of a problem. Is this just because of the costs of disc space or web site access. I may be able to help out there.

I'm going home early to sulk, drink beer and stroke my new planes.

regards
Alan

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you click the "search all terms" box - or are you leaving it on the default "search any term"?

Makes a huge difference in getting the right result. The box to click is immediately under where you type in your search terms. You can't *err* miss it :oops: I find the results when you do that are pretty much 100% accurate.

Adam

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
Adam,

Yes I am clicking on the "search all terms" spot. I have also tried a number of structured seearches such as x and y not z and got the same results..a few relevant articles lost amongst the rest of the site....or it just seems like that.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
recommended AND books got me 11 matches, of which at least two are obviously relevant. Also books with Midnight as author comes up with a couple more, but that would have needed you to know Mike's particular interest in getting us to talk about books. :D

But in short; it's you. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
Alan, as Adam and Alf have mentioned the search feature is a bit picky but do remember it searchs over 52573 articles :wink:

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm too used to the perculiarities of it. I find you have to search the exact name of the thing you want, e.g. as ALF said Recommended and Books rather than Books and lathe or books and turning. Also the longer you are here, the more likely you are to know one of the exact words used in the thread you are searching back for, or a unique combination of words.

Keep at it!

Adam

A

Anonymous

Alf:

OK I realise its probably me. But you don't have to call me short. Even if it is true :lol: :oops: :roll:

Charley:

I'll try it agin with ands and ors and if buts. Just tried that and it works about 75%. Its quite odd as almost all of the databases and other applications I use do not like or accept conditional operands....time to unlearn 25 yrs training and experience....a good thing probably.

Made me laugh really. I must be getting old. The good news is that I now have bumper list of books for my kids to buy their old(56) dad.

cheers ](*,) :-#

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
Ooops...I failed to log in hence guest sign in.

I just tried

recommended OR recommend AND books OR book

produced 39 thread entries....OK the short one has it down pat now....thanks.