De Walt Radial Arm Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowdon

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just aquired an old radial arm saw - the maker is shown as Black and Decker USA and I have all the model/serial nos - the actual saw is De Walt which I think makes it worth restoring - from what I have found out so far the De Walt brand was owned by B&D for a short time in the 60s which dates the thing.

Two questions;

Anybody know where I might be able to get a user manual?

The blade guard only covers the top half of the blade and I am guessing there would have originally been a sprung/retractable lower guard - any ideas about finding/making a suitable guard

H i Snowdon, welcome to the forum. I think you will find that B&D still own Dewalt. Good luck with the restore.

Cheers

Mike

snowdon":2ijx56ru said:
Hi all

I have just aquired an old radial arm saw - the maker is shown as Black and Decker USA and I have all the model/serial nos - the actual saw is De Walt which I think makes it worth restoring - from what I have found out so far the De Walt brand was owned by B&D for a short time in the 60s which dates the thing.

Two questions;

Anybody know where I might be able to get a user manual?

The blade guard only covers the top half of the blade and I am guessing there would have originally been a sprung/retractable lower guard - any ideas about finding/making a suitable guard

Hi Snowdon, and welcome to the forum.
This from the B&D web site suggests that they still own the Dewalt brand, among many other well known and respected brands.

I think you will find the guard is as original, they were all a little lacking compared to todays standards and a half circle guard with just an adjustable anti kickback rod and pawls , and a small extractor take off at the back is about all to expect.
Some guards from more recent models may be adaptable as a retrofit but its likely to cost you as much as the saw again if you buy new.
These guards ( on older RAS ) are usually locked down near the yoke at the top with a 1/2" AF nut which means a spanner job for adjusting, but if you replace this with a wing nut then its easy to lock and unlock it with fingers and you are more likely to use it to adjust the guard to be as close as possible the the workpiece face. Also set up some hold down clamps so you minimise the use of fingers as tools to secure the piece when cutting.
You could always use a marker pen to zone an area 3 inches either side of the cutting line and make and keep a rule that fingers never go in the zone.
If you need spares there are a few good sites, this is one thats does Dewalt RAS parts
http://www.powertoolspares.com

Which model is the one you have? If the badge is not on the arm it may be found on the motor.

Back