De-nailing tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongodrummer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
After spending a lot of time recently de-nailing some reclaimed timber from a building/demolition project - everything from monster custom black smithery and 6 inchers, to small panelling nails - I was contemplating all the tools that I have never seen that should be around to help... There must be some kind of nail puller that would deal with the super stubborn ones in a similar kind of way a pop rivet gun works??

I found this 'Nail Boss' on youtube, which looks like it would be useful for nails that are sticking through a piece of wood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=z05mLlCsxXc it basically pounds the nail back through, with less risk of bending or breaking it off, so you can finish it off with a claw hammer. Anyone got any experience of/with this tool or know of any others?

That looks like a nice tool, but the price... :shock: I would be after some kind of robotic hydraulic four jawed chuck puller for that money :lol: Well maybe...

That is called here anyway lol a "craws fit" there used to be a hydraulic puller on the market but the firm discontinued or went bust. I watched it demo at a woodmex pulling nails from pallets. It was size and weight of a nail gun but its jaws popped out as you pressed the trigger, grabbing at the nail, and pulled it out fully extracted into the gun body, releasing the trigger the nail dropped out .

I use the Bahco 38 nail puller and would recommend it. It works very well, even on small stuff, and is certainly less trouble than a normal claw hammer. Only problem is if the nails to be removed are rusty as they just break off.

Parrot beak extractors are good. There's a bit of a knack to using them - a sort of synchronised hammer and snatch. It has a built in hammer.

nailpuller.jpg

but with pallets the more varieties of nail puller you have , the better.

"Cat's paw" is another

Hay thanks for all the feedback guys. Not quite as 'powered up and tech' as I was expecting :wink: but I am going to try the Bahco one anyway. Ordered one of ebay for £40 after being outbid on that one you suggested bosshogg (thanks for that by the way!).

Will let you know how I get on... If it is not great, I may have to start a little engineering project and see what I come up with :D

Back