de-lurk and now a dilema

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just stumbled onto this forum while I was researching an upgrade to my T/S I wish i had logged in ages ago, there is just so much great info here.
I was considering the 10 inch sip machine. There is a buyit now offer on ebay for £449 inc delivery. have a look at:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8&tc=photo
Thats less than I paid for my PK200!!, but now I think I want an xcalibur, the possibility of a dado is just too tempting. So the dilemma do I sell my PK and add a bit of cash for the SIP or do i bite the bullet and get the Xcalibur.
Its extra frustrating that the web site for woodford is screwed up, at the mo. Anyway stockport is just an hour away for me so looks like im going to have to pay them a visit. Does anyone know if they are open on saturday or will i need a day off work?

Tombo

Welcome to the forum Tombo.

I've yet to hear of anyone who's unhappy with an Xcalibur. Haven't got one myself. But if Woodford are only an hour away then I would pay them a visit. There is no better way of researching a new purchase than to see it in the flesh. For this reason alone I would make the trip.

As to the Sip, I'm pretty sure I've seen that seller with these machines advertised many times so you won' be missing out by holding off.

Jeff

John, you only think you would be unhappy with one.....

tombo,

A hearty welcome to the Forum. :wink:

FWIW the SIP 10" t/s needs a 16 amp circuit, but I understand they are shortly to bring out a 13 amp machine.

Cheers,

Trev.

Waka":1npqj20k said:
johnelliott":1npqj20k said:
That's because I don't have one. If I did, I would be unhappy with it.

John

Is there any pleasing you?

Of course there is. What an odd question. Beware of becoming personal, I'm inclined to bite back.

Anyway, the reason why I don't have an Xcalibur saw is because I don't wan't one. I have an Electra Bekum PKF255.

The reason why I made the original comment is that , in all likelihood, those that own any particular brand/type of equipment will like it.
If they didn't, hopefully they wouldn't have bought it in the first place, or maybe they would get rid of it and replace it with something they did like, or maybe they would keep quiet about it or maybe they would overlook the aspects they didn't like and concentrate on the good points when discussing that equipment with others.

John

Hi John

Yours was an interesting comment.

Are you against table saws in the main ? I know you are a big fan of the Festool guide rail system or is it just that Xcaliburs seem to be associated with Dado's and Norm envy ?

Would you have made that comment if the machine in question was a Felder or another such expensive professional machine ?

Just interested, nothing personal. Each to their own I say.

Jeff

I have a EB PKF255 and I love it, wouldn't want to change for the world, and PS i am not a fan of FESTO, but more a MAFELL man, BOSCH man
Black & Decker man :D :D

Mcluma

Mdotflorida":dwmdm8i2 said:
Hi John

Yours was an interesting comment.

Are you against table saws in the main ? I know you are a big fan of the Festool guide rail system or is it just that Xcaliburs seem to be associated with Dado's and Norm envy ?

Would you have made that comment if the machine in question was a Felder or another such expensive professional machine ?

Just interested, nothing personal. Each to their own I say.

Jeff

Jeff, no, absolutely nothing against table saws. Currently I use my Festo system for nearly everything, but I still start up my PKF255 table saw several times a day. I did think of selling it because of the space it takes up, but I would miss it, especially for ripping.
The thing that baffles me about Xcaliber and other table saws is not the dado thing, but the lack of a decent sliding table. My PKF255 cost only about £300 than an Xcaliber but it has a sliding table with a 1.4 metre traverse. That means I can clamp a 1.4mtr waney edge board on it and cut a perfectly smoth, straight edge on it, ready for ripping to width. Try that with an Xcaliber and a (what is it they call them, cross cut sled, sledge, something like that?)
If I was still working hardwoods instead of manmade boards I would be using my PKF255 all the time. As it is, it's the Festo and the Festo MFT that see most of the action.
John

John

Are we saying that Xcalibar does not have an available sliding table?

By the way I'm not an Xcalibar man, mines a Ryobi BT300 and at the moment no plans to change and thats with gloating over Philly's.

Going to your original comment, if you had followed that up with and I quote "I've tried the Xcalibar and am not happy with it and much prefer my PKF 225", then fine; but to discount a paricular make when a newbie to the forum is asking questions is not very helpful. After all most of us need help and advice from members of the forum, how else would we all learn.

Come on Waka John is entitled to his opinion just as much as you are. He has made it quite clear that he has never owned one or tried one out, so any newbie as you call them would take that on board.

Sorry about that Tombo, welcome to the forum. From what i have read both here and on other forum's it appears that the Xcalibur it a far better saw then the SIP.
One advantage going for the Xcaliber is that it is a Delta Unisaw clone which means that a lot of accessories which the yanks make for the unisaw will also fit the Xcaliber.

On the down side if they do not make a sliding table for the Xcaliber then in MY view it is not worth having. I use the sliding table day in and day in my shop and i do not know what i would do without it. Before i am accused of leading newbies up the wrong path i will say that is MY VIEW and i would ONLY take this view IF they do not produce a sliding table for it.

I hope that all goes well and that you get your table saw without too many problems.
One thing i will say is that you cannot do enough research. These machines are not cheap and you do not want to find out too late that you purchased the wrong one. Also as Mdotflorida states there is no better way of researching then to see them in the flesh.

Regards

Woody

Waka":3w2smm8n said:
John

Are we saying that Xcalibar does not have an available sliding table?

By the way I'm not an Xcalibar man, mines a Ryobi BT300 and at the moment no plans to change and thats with gloating over Philly's.

Going to your original comment, if you had followed that up with and I quote "I've tried the Xcalibar and am not happy with it and much prefer my PKF 225", then fine; but to discount a paricular make when a newbie to the forum is asking questions is not very helpful. After all most of us need help and advice from members of the forum, how else would we all learn.

Some interesting points there.

First of all, I don't know for sure what sort of sliding table the Xcaliber has, I have a feeling that there is one but that the traverse is quite short, something like 600mm

Whether or not one can know that one will or not like something without actually trying it is a good question. Probably going to depend on the exact circumstances.

I agree that for me to just say that I wouldn't like a particular machine without giving reasons was a bit naughty and I shall try not to do that again

John

First of all, I don't know for sure what sort of sliding table the Xcaliber has, I have a feeling that there is one but that the traverse is quite short, something like 600mm

I remember spending ages on their site when I first came across it. I'm sure that in both their cabinet saw and contractor saw ranges they have sliding tables, and they weren't exactly subtle affairs neither if the pics were any indication. Given that these are Delta clones, I honestly canna believe that they'd be limited to a 2ft stroke... I mean their saws aren't exactly shrinking violets... right..??

That said, I'm going on distingtly dodgy memory here; if I read the stats on the saws, I canna remember what the quoted limits were...

Tombo,

There you go, as it does have a sliding table on what i have read i would certainly try the Xcaliber out.

Of course there is one man who knows all about the Xcaliber and thats Philly. I am sure if you ask him nicely he will gloat oops i mean tell you all about his saw.

Regards

Woody

Thanks all for the comments, i have the sliding table gizmo for my pk 200 which i think i could live with out. As its a portable saw and i don't have room to leave it permanently setup, I have to reattach it each time i use it. Its a bit of a pain to get parallel and its a real contraption to man handle in a small space as your attaching it or putting it away, grab it in the wrong way and the loose end runs down the rail, i could loose a finger without even switching the saw on ;). I called woodford this morning and spoke to Tim he seemed really helpful, though it looks like i'll take a day off work to visit them as they only open on saturday by appointment. I'll keep you all posted

Latest posts

Back