DBT85s Workshop - Moved in and now time to fit it out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and also thinking ahead, no point having a supply that only meets your demand today, we all know that at some point we will visit a show or see something we like and buy it, and want our workshop to handle the power and not have to do any alterations.

Well after being busy sorting out that loft bed for a friend (and getting paid for the honour) it's been busy enough at home.
51005738996_909997f424_c.jpg

We had a digger on site for some work on the pond so father in law sent him my way to dig a chuffing enormous trench for the runoff from the roof. This feeds into existing drainage. It'll be nice to actually have it go somewhere. There were times in the last 8 weeks where its literally just sat there like a moat. Once this is done I can fill said moat properly. And finally clear up my building site in the field!

51020688021_8d6a46bdcd_c.jpg

I've also been in contact with Dan at www.djnuk.co.uk about a fine filter for the extractor. Based on the spec sheets provided (unlike most woodworking shops it seems) I'm going to pick up a 600mm cylinder filter from them and it should just about drop right on to the housing I have. Based on the spec sheet this is all I need for this extractor even if it were running at full chat with no restrictions on a larger impeller, none of which are going to be the case. And its Class M as well.

I'm amidst transforming Indoor Workshop into Childs Bedroom and with that and other painting on the immediate horizon, I've used some of my bed making money to get a Graco Ultra cordless sprayer which will greatly increase my skill in... masking. Hopefully.

Also treated (trut?) myself to the 25 bit set of Fisch HSS lip and spur bits.

Pics of trenches and pipes and filters when they are available.

Last edited:
Well after being busy sorting out that loft bed for a friend (and getting paid for the honour) it's been busy enough at home.

We had a digger on site for some work on the pond so father in law sent him my way to dig a chuffing enormous trench for the runoff from the roof. This feeds into existing drainage. It'll be nice to actually have it go somewhere. There were times in the last 8 weeks where its literally just sat there like a moat. Once this is done I can fill said moat properly. And finally clear up my building site in the field!

I've also been in contact with Dan at www.djnuk.co.uk about a fine filter for the extractor. Based on the spec sheets provided (unlike most woodworking shops it seems) I'm going to pick up a 600mm cylinder filter from them and it should just about drop right on to the housing I have. Based on the spec sheet this is all I need for this extractor even if it were running at full chat with no restrictions on a larger impeller, none of which are going to be the case. And its Class M as well.

I'm amidst transforming Indoor Workshop into Childs Bedroom and with that and other painting on the immediate horizon, I've used some of my bed making money to get a Graco Ultra cordless sprayer which will greatly increase my skill in... masking. Hopefully.

Where did that f'huge digger come from, a motorway job?? and how many beds did you have to make to buy that sprayer? 😁 Done anymore work on fitting out the shop? I'm hoping to start mine next month 🤞

Where did that f'huge digger come from, a motorway job?? and how many beds did you have to make to buy that sprayer? 😁 Done anymore work on fitting out the shop? I'm hoping to start mine next month 🤞
Ha not a motorway job, my father in law knows lots of people who have kit like that. It's parked on the farm until they need it elsewhere!

That bed covered 2/3 of the sprayer, though in reality I also got the drill bits, some extra metric tape measures and this filter, so the sprayer is being spread out. Arrived today so that was nice and fast and it's a CE one not a grey import in case of issues. It'll get used first to do this bedroom and some jobs in the holiday cottages at the end of March so that'll be it paid for. It's also yet another tool that can be sold on for minimal losses if needed.

Not really had time to get in the workshop and do much else to it if I'm honest. I still need to make some kind of place for the mitre saw to live and the extra storage that will come with it. But I've not even put handles on the drawers I made yet lol. I have so many things to do that improving the space is at the bottom of the list by comparison. I do my TV work, help run the cottages, do or help do accounts for 3 businesses, help out my in laws, and obviously try to dad on top of it all.

There's also an element of comitting to making the thing I want to make for the space. For example I out off nailing the router to a board for ages but in the end it took me less than an hour. But it paid for itself in time just because I probably added a round over to 50m worth of material for that bed!

Making the workshop better will be a long term thing anyway. Still no cyclone, still no proper filter on the extractor (it's on order) etc. Not even begun to think about the windows. Just busy busy busy.

The important thing is I can get in there and work. The same people that wanted the bed now want a 3m wide floor to ceiling built in. So that'll be good experience and some more money.

Looking forward to following your build Mike. Deffo nice to wait for better weather!

Last edited:
Thanks, it will be a bit different after conversations with MikeG, I've settled my mind on the base but not quite on the dimensions. MikeG recommended I reduce the footprint to below 30m2 to avoid building regs resulting in my losing over 2 metres in length and another in width, so I'm reluctant to lose the space. I've just built a knock down mft that I am very pleased with (more later on the thread I started on this) as it's a great bench for dimensioning full sheets and framing (I'm currently building a greenhouse for my wife) but it obviously takes up a lot of workshop space when assembled so would not fit using the proposed reduced shop size and layout. Decisions decisions :dunno:

Thanks, it will be a bit different after conversations with MikeG, I've settled my mind on the base but not quite on the dimensions. MikeG recommended I reduce the footprint to below 30m2 to avoid building regs resulting in my losing over 2 metres in length and another in width, so I'm reluctant to lose the space. I've just built a knock down mft that I am very pleased with (more later on the thread I started on this) as it's a great bench for dimensioning full sheets and framing (I'm currently building a greenhouse for my wife) but it obviously takes up a lot of workshop space when assembled so would not fit using the proposed reduced shop size and layout. Decisions decisions :dunno:
Needing building control would significantly add to the costs involved. If you've got the money then go for it. 30m2 is quite substantial. Ive got a sellers style bench, a 2m x 0.8m mft, a full sized table saw, a 2.4m sheet cart as well as other rubbish and there's still plenty of room in there.

Depends how much other stuff you want to put in.

Also remember that the 30m2 limit is only for one building. So long as they aren't connected you could just build 2 of that size (and join them in 5 years).

Needing building control would significantly add to the costs involved. If you've got the money then go for it. 30m2 is quite substantial. Ive got a sellers style bench, a 2m x 0.8m mft, a full sized table saw, a 2.4m sheet cart as well as other rubbish and there's still plenty of room in there.

Also remember that the 30m2 limit is only for one building. So long as they aren't connected you could just build 2 of that size (and join them in 5 years).
With a train carriage style connector between the two! 😂😂😂

Cheers James

Thanks, there's already an outbuilding next to it that I recently renovated and I had planned to join the two with a 2m roofed walk through but MikeG warned that building control would class it all as one building.

Thanks, there's already an outbuilding next to it that I recently renovated and I had planned to join the two with a 2m roofed walk through but MikeG warned that building control would class it all as one building.
Ah yeah. You could just omit the roofed walk through but have it quietly planned for later.

Realistically it would be useful to have one room for maybe wood storage and one for actual work, or use one as a finishing room or something.

Ah yeah. You could just omit the roofed walk through but have it quietly planned for later.

Realistically it would be useful to have one room for maybe wood storage and one for actual work, or use one as a finishing room or something.
Not sure if I've explained it properly. This was the original design with existing outbuilding on the left and new workshop (replacing an 1970s garage) on the right. The roofed walkthrough has no front or back.
New Outbuildings.png

I'm now resigned to allowing for connecting the 2 at a later date.

Not sure if I've explained it properly. This was the original design with existing outbuilding on the left and new workshop (replacing an 1970s garage) on the right. The roofed walkthrough has no front or back.
View attachment 105809
I'm now resigned to allowing for connecting the 2 at a later date.
Christ man what are you building, boats?

But yeah, That's kind of what I Imagined you meant. Maybe not on that scale! They are big enough you could easily do something to partition one for wood storage and finishing if you wanted to.

Christ man what are you building, boats?

But yeah, That's kind of what I Imagined you meant. Maybe not on that scale! They are big enough you could easily do something to partition one for wood storage and finishing if you wanted to.
😄 The outbuilding is split into 3 - a tool shed for all the garden tools and two loose boxes for lambing my sheep. This was previously 3 stables and falling down/flooding. The garage is currently 11m x 4.25m so loads of space but also floods so the slab has to be raised by 220mm to bring it level with the raised outbuilding. So a smaller slab on larger slab challenge. The existing slab is solid so MikeG reckoned it was OK to lay a new one on.

Ahh, I'm guessing that despite an existing building already being there, that doesn't give you the freedom to just knock it down and rebuild it without needing building regs?

Ahh, I'm guessing that despite an existing building already being there, that doesn't give you the freedom to just knock it down and rebuild it without needing building regs?
Apparently not as it would be over 30m2. I wouldn't need planning permission though.

I've been looking at the cordless Graco, please give us an insight when you've had it going! Ta

Got this mostly drawn up last night for the same people that wanted the bed. They want this in birch ply and unpainted. I've used 18 and 24 for this drawing (24 for book shelves and the worktop). Might need to enlarge the gap at either end for a filler as only left 20mm on this. Wanted to practise on something similar for my own place but they want it more urgently 😂. Will be interesting to see what the difference will be in just delivery of sheets and delivery of cutlist. It's about 3m wide and 2.4 tall.

51034981571_260bf0b9f2_b.jpg

I've been looking at the cordless Graco, please give us an insight when you've had it going! Ta
I shall.

I know @petermillard liked his apart from the pump now going twice. I think its only got a MTBF of like 200l anyway. Lots seem to buy them to paint the whole house and its not really what its for. Plenty of others on youtube have been using them, either decorators for small jobs or crafty types in place of buying a larger sprayer. The London Craftsman uses a larger Graco for all his stuff but also uses one of these for small jobs.

Hell since its only the pump that's gone on Peters maybe you can buy it off him used and just replace the pump yourself! He has no need of it anymore. I'll have his holey rail and router while he's at it 👀

Got this mostly drawn up last night for the same people that wanted the bed. They want this in birch ply and unpainted. I've used 18 and 24 for this drawing (24 for book shelves and the worktop). Might need to enlarge the gap at either end for a filler as only left 20mm on this. Wanted to practise on something similar for my own place but they want it more urgently 😂. Will be interesting to see what the difference will be in just delivery of sheets and delivery of cutlist. It's about 3m wide and 2.4 tall.

I shall.

I know @petermillard liked his apart from the pump now going twice. I think its only got a MTBF of like 200l anyway. Lots seem to buy them to paint the whole house and its not really what its for. Plenty of others on youtube have been using them, either decorators for small jobs or crafty types in place of buying a larger sprayer. The London Craftsman uses a larger Graco for all his stuff but also uses one of these for small jobs.

Hell since its only the pump that's gone on Peters maybe you can buy it off him used and just replace the pump yourself! He has no need of it anymore. I'll have his holey rail and router while he's at it 👀
Loved mine, until it let me down too many times ie more than once. Great sprayer while it was working though. 👌👍

I shall.

Thanks, I use a compressor in my shop but some paints call for airless, I don't always finish but some people want me to paint even if it's just skirting install so thought a portable might be useful. On your office design I did a similar set up for someone a while back. (I've yet to learn how to use cad, I'm envious!) what edging will you be using? I steam bent 5mm oak around the curved desk.

Back