DBT85s Workshop - Moved in and now time to fit it out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nice day for it today. It still spat a bit but no torrential rain. Shocking news. When you're not getting urinated on from a great height you can actually get things done!

Its not been easy moving the scaffold around the soggy clay surrounding the workshop but its now at its final resting place for that side of the roof. I even already have my ladder set up on the other side as an escape route.

First up is a better view on the revised top 2 rows of tiles. I'm sure all can agree its a much better solution with much less chance for water ingress.
50098063851_4fcbd36184_b.jpg

I got plenty done today and am now 9 tiles from the point that I have to start the other verge. I did get the tape measure out to check my laps and make a few minor corrections along the roof as I was worried about getting to the other end and being out. Most importantly I got to the other end with my first course and everything fit so my spacings were ok.

50098289757_fff9998547_b.jpg

flying haggis":1csp5qc6 said:
to me. one screw doesnt seem enough, i would drill another hole and add another screw.
I could, it cant hurt and I can only buy the things in bags of a billion. But it seems to be a standard way of doing it. One screw will easily hold my 105kg weight so its more an issue of distribution than holding power if anything.

The roof is half done! Hurrah.

I'd hoped to get a bit more done but some bits came up, I was at least about to start prep for tomorrow which will be getting the first verge done on the visible side of the workshop.

The biggest faff in all honesty has been moving the scaffold around as its been so wet. Fortunately it was easy enough for the final bit on that verge and now it'll be fine on the other side of the workshop.

Tomorrow will only be a half day so I can enjoy a film and some popcorn with my little girl, then Monday I can get into it full swing and see how far along I can get! I do need to get the screws to hold the ridge tiles down so may well go fetch them tomorrow or Monday.

Is there any reason I can't be putting ridge tiles on as I'm going along rather than doing it all at the end?

Still working out my shopping list for electrical bits inside too.

50101766347_5708b8c17a_b.jpg

50100957198_50acf818f6_b.jpg

Tiles are looking good. If they were available here they would be a premium product and hard to find. I've never seen any here, other types of tiles like Red Spanish tiles yup but not those. I don't see why you wouldn't put the ridge tiles on as you move along. No chance of anything breaking when you go back to do it. Out out curiosity what kind of wind rating do they have?

Pete

Crikey Holmes! The Game is afoot! Or Possibly second breakfast. Po-Ta-Toes.

:D

putting the ridge on as you work along seems reasonable and i think would be easier as at least you are standing on a "ladder" and not smooth tiles

Looking a smashing job there.

I certainly put my ridge on as I did the tiling. When it came to a point a ridge tile could be fitted, on it popped.

Makes for a nice looking roof doesn’t it? A lot more expensive than sheet roofing, and more work to instal, but what a difference in looks.

Hard work nearly finished now. The cladding and interior are child’s play in comparison to what you have achieved.

Thanks chaps. Looking forward to getting the roof all done and the cladding on.

I've gone and burned the back of my neck over the last few days. My tan all came while I was a hairy sod during lockdown, now that I've had it cut back my neck was the only bit that was still pastey white!

No idea on the numbers for wind loads Pete, but their documentation just says it will meet BS12345 standards if laid to BS123123512 standards.

Will pick up the ridge screws and a load of guttering and electrical bits ready to get some done if my paint is further delayed.

Just looked again at the finished side, if you’ve got half hour to spare this afternoon, the hedge could do with a trim, the birds have fledged by now. :D

(That’s the way my Mrs thinks)

Ha, technically that side isn't my problem!

We'll let it grow as there are a lot of blackberries in there. The side near the workshop though is enjoying the light now that a few trees were removed so will need a regular prune.

The rains have come again. I'm about 1/3 through this side of the roof and my first 2 ridge tiles are in place.

Guttering and sockets/conduit all arriving tomorrow so if there's a delay on the barn paint I can get started painting the walls and banging sockets up.

Well its still not done, but the end is nigh.

With the rain stopping play quite early yesterday the plan today was to just crack on and do as much as I could.

With the scaffold now much easier to move around I managed to get all the way to the point where I now just have to deal with the final verge. That'll be fun. When I did the other side I could just escape down this side when I was finished. I'll have no such luxury this time. Fortunately this scaffold goes to 3m if I need it which I think I probably will.

All that remains
50112762666_c895c322c6_b.jpg

Ridge tiles on and finishing it off nicely
50112762756_0258b7c6c5_b.jpg

A huge box of sockets, conduit fittings and gutter fitting arrived today. With the roof soon to be complete I can worry about painting the inside. I didn't want to do that while I was still getting drips in places. Once its got paint up I can do my sockets and get the SWA in ready for whenever the electrician is coming.

Can't wait to not be on the roof any more. My backside is so sore and bruised from sitting on battens all day.

Done. Finally.

50116734872_d78787d199_b.jpg

Tomorrow I can finish off some little OSb bits inside under the ridge and maybe get some white on the walls.

So pleased to be done with the roof!

DBT85":2ewf9f19 said:
Well its still not done, but the end is nigh.

Can't wait to not be on the roof any more. My backside is so sore and bruised from sitting on battens all day.
Nice looking job, well done. =D> =D>

My bruises lasted for a week, back of legs and cheeks so sore it was difficult to sit at night. Don’t know how roofers do it day after day, I was glad to see the back of that job. All down hill now.

I went into the kitchen this morning and thought "OK I can get outside soon" and then realised no more roof to climb. A large grin appeared.

DBT85":2w45dpd9 said:
A large grin appeared.
How do you get away with that? If I grin for no obvious reason the question posed would be " what are you up to now?" or "what have you bought?".......As if. :roll:

Lons":2fl2yrza said:
DBT85":2fl2yrza said:
A large grin appeared.
How do you get away with that? If I grin for no obvious reason the question posed would be " what are you up to now?" or "what have you bought?".......As if. :roll:
Ha, she pointed out the bruise the size of a saucer on my backside so she knows exactly why I'm grinning!

Latest posts

Back