DBT85s Workshop - Moved in and now time to fit it out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stop showing off that all your sockets are level................

looking like it needs a nice layer of sawdust soon

Mostly done now, time to start building things to help store all the stuff away that has never had a proper home.

Almost looking like a workshop now.

50511188492_672142006c_b.jpg

50511024331_b40849544d_b.jpg

50510311628_3869221cd8_b.jpg

50510311748_0603ae4d40_b.jpg

First couple of things to build are going to be something to get that sheet material mobile and a flip cart for my disk/belt sander and spindle sander. Until now one lived on the end of the big bench and one live under it.

I'll nab Drew Fishers design (integrated power) and also add DX for the two tools so that it should never need anything more than flipping over to use. No faffing with power cables or dust hoses.

Something like this
50511052911_51537ca5ba_b.jpg

stop showing off that all your sockets are level................

looking like it needs a nice layer of sawdust soon
I'm honestly shocked that they are as level as they are. That cheap laser level did the job.

First actual 'shop project in the new shop complete. A sheet goods rack similar to Stumpy Nubs one. I bought the castors but apart from that its just made from leftover construction timbers. which is great as it gets them off my joists too. Since my mitre saw won't do 200mm material as used for the base of this, I ended up cutting them on my MFT assembly table using the benchdogs fence and a TS55. Not really the grade of material they were designed for but they did the job. A bigger faff was the extraction hose. Until my domino arrives I'm without a Festool hose so I'm just bodging along with Charles and a rubber connector. It works fine when it stays attached!

Nothing exciting but I can now get access to the rear most sheet without first having to move every single bit in front of it.

Work now for 4 nights from tomorrow so I'll have no workshop time but lots of thinking time so I can just design more bits like the cart above, something to put my drills in and charge them, work out what I'm doing about DX for the short term, something for my non sliding Makita mitre saw that will still work as and when it gets replaced. Not sure yet if thats cart with flip up wings or recessing it in a run of workbench which would also give me a lot of storage underneath.

In two minds whether thins stuff should be in the workshop build thread or if I should just make a projects thread. It's not like I'm dazzling any minds with this stuff!

50512789358_20b91f0730_b.jpg

50513502136_8a64576a02_b.jpg

Not having a tv licence (as we don't watch live broadcasted stuff, only downloaded stuff) I'm fond of binge watching entire series of whatever it is that takes my fancy, which is easily done when you don't have to wait for next weeks show if you stumble across something well after it originally aired. Imagine my delight then in stumbling across this thread...I'm currently in the process of completely redesigning the contents of my workspace and for some light entertainment / education I have , this evening been treated to someone’s approach on how to do that from a much earlier point (no workspace at all) and to such a high standard all the way to a point that makes me ridiculously envious of their ability. Congratulations on knocking the ball clean out of the park with your workshop build! oh, and thanks for keeping me riveted to my laptop for the last 6 hrs reading the whole thread :)

Wow thanks Terry! I must admit I have done the same with many a build thread over the last 10 years so I know the feeling only too well. One can only live vicariously for so long before having to do something about it. Oddly enough covid happening actually helped!

Hi! Newbie here! Unable to PM directly, but I love what you've done here, but I particularly like the LED panels.....I have hunted through the thread, but I can't see the specifications or purchase location/price.....I'd be grateful if you could add it to this thread sometime?

I certainly can't :(

I purchased the same LED panels as @Sheptonphil. He bought enough from an ebay seller that they then offered him 12 more for £256 delivered, so £21.33 each. That seller was buybest365 on ebay buybest365 on eBay.

They sadly list no products at all. I have just messaged them to see if they can get more as I might want a couple more for myself!

These panels arrived with a frame already, not like many that are frameless that need something adding to them.

Thanks for your prompt response! That is a great shame.....I don't suppose there is a part number or model code on the panels?
When I first saw your photos I thought they were skylights! I guess they must be cool white/day light at around 6000K...

Thanks for your prompt response! That is a great shame.....I don't suppose there is a part number or model code on the panels?
When I first saw your photos I thought they were skylights! I guess they must be cool white/day light at around 6000K...
I don't recall seeing anything on the panels and I can't see anything similar on ebay at the moment. There may have been something on the boxes but those are long gone. I might have a photo so I'll have a rummage. It could be that like a lot of things stock is short because of covid.

You're not alone in thinking they are skylights, I hear it quite often. I know it looks a bit odd at first with so many in there and even I thought that the 8 in th emiddle might be OTT, but the light spread just works perfectly and its a really nice place to be working.

Looking at that ebay sellers feedback, I found this:

LED Flat Panel Light 48W 600x600mm / 72W 1200x 600mm Surface Mounted White Frame

Googling that phrase gives this Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surface-Mount-Panel-Frame-Warranty/dp/B01B3CVRGO
Do they look about right?
That isn’t the ones, the guys selling them are here. They were £136 for 6, or £256 for 12, poss less if more ordered. The direct email for them is The buy buy is correct at the start of the email and not a typo. The original total was LED Flat Panel Light 48W 600x600mm / 72W 1200x 600mm Surface Mounted White Frame

Looking at that ebay sellers feedback, I found this:

LED Flat Panel Light 48W 600x600mm / 72W 1200x 600mm Surface Mounted White Frame

Googling that phrase gives this Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Surface-Mount-Panel-Frame-Warranty/dp/B01B3CVRGO
Do they look about right?
I recently PM’d Darren and Phil about the same question as I am going to put up some more lights in my garage. Following their help I have just received these:
Look at this on eBay
6x48W LED Panel Light Recessed Celing (Cool White 6500 K) 600 x 600 x 10mm
And
Look at this on eBay
Surface Mount Kit for 600 x 600 Led Ceiling Panel light Easy Install Chrome

Not yet fitted, but should do the job. They came out at about £22.50 for each set of light and frame.

I hope that helps.
Mark

Hopefully the light seller comes back with more, they really are nice.

While I've been at work not actually working I've been getting started on editing more of the little videos together. There are chunks missing as frankly it was starting to get wet and dribbly and I was running out of time so I didn't film nearly as much, but there are photos that I can waffle over at least.

Still lots to do with those yet but they are coming!

I've also just sniped (gixen is your friend) a Sip 01446 12 inch 4hp tablesaw for £745 on ebay so that'll be a nice addition to the workshop. Just waiting to see when I can collect it. They are up for £1750 new so I'm happy with that. I was tempted by the 01332 that's for sale on here but I just so happened to do a search on ebay for Sip at 5:30 this morning and this popped up with 12 hours to go.

I'll need to get a socket installed. Wonder if I should add it to the ring or just add a new circuit.

I'll need to get a socket installed. Wonder if I should add it to the ring or just add a new circuit.
Good find. You’ll need a separate circuit for a 4hp, possibly 20A, 16A would be borderline.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I have previously offered to help with lighting, if you are looking for panels we offer a 5 year guaranteed panel 600x600mm 45w in warm/cool and daylight for £19.02 inc vat , the chipset is Samsung and they come complete with plug and play driver. Any questions feel free to call me on 01494 880099

https://www.lamps-on-line.com/light-fittings/led-fittings/led-panels.html

Hi

Yes plenty of 13 amp sockets but any reason why you did not require any 16 amp sockets or not intending to run bigger machinery.
I didn't have any that needed it and had no expectaton of getting any soon, nor did I know where I would want them. Now that I have a car full of cast iron to assemble tomorrow, I will get a 16a installed for that by my electrician at the end of next week. It's sitting on my kitchen worktop along with more 2.5mm t&e to run in.

Had I thought I'd be getting a saw like this 2 weeks after the initial install I'd have had it done then!

Back