Day out anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Any one up for a day out at Goodtimber?

gt_show_2005.jpg

They had a good range of timber at good prices last year, this is where I bought the timber for my new bench. :D

I have reposted this to remind you that its next weekend.
I plan to go on Saturday, pass out already approved. :D
I will stand any of you a cup of tea or coffee, see you at refreshment stand at 11:00, look for the clogs. :whistle:

On the calendar but not sure which day.

Edit: The social organizer of this retirement group has decreed Friday.

Only just found this. Looks like a good day out and not too far to travel. Will try to make it on the Saturday. Will be good to put a few more faces to the names on the forums.

Anyone from the Cambridge area want a lift?

Andrew

I'm going to try and make it tomorrow - but there's no chance of getting there by 11:00, what with a wife and 2-year-old to get out of the house.

Plan is to leave wife shopping with sister-in-law in Northampton - but let's see what happens.

cambournepete":350afs8k said:
I'm going to try and make it tomorrow - but there's no chance of getting there by 11:00,

Don't worry about 11:00 :shock:

I think I will be around for 3 or 4 hours, as I said look for the clogs. :D

If you keep your eyes open you may see Dutch as well as English clogs, one of the guys who works there is from Holland and can often be seen in his wooden feet. 8)

DaveL":9r5rubll said:
..snip..
If you keep your eyes open you may see Dutch as well as English clogs, one of the guys who works there is from Holland and can often be seen in his wooden feet. 8)

He was today anyway(Fri)

DaveL wrote:
..snip..
If you keep your eyes open you may see Dutch as well as English clogs, one of the guys who works there is from Holland and can often be seen in his wooden feet.

He was today anyway(Fri)

He has been the last twice I have visited

Bean

Well I had a good day out. :D

Met up with old friends and new ones too. 8)

The Dutch clogs were in use, the coffee was good and hot, even if Tony did try to tip Bean and myself on the floor :roll: .

I had a good chat about scroll saw blades with Gill and I now understand the limitations of ones I have. :x New 'proper' blades will be ordered and I will then try out the patterns so kindly posted.
Did the SIP chaps forgive your questions about the scroll saw when you bought the SCMS? :whistle:

Andrewm, captured here for the rouges gallery:
andrewm.jpg

Was very unlucky in being beaten to the beech by someone who bought all they had, 24 cube of the stuff. ](*,)

While Bean, caught grimacing as his cover was blown:
bean.jpg

Failed to stop me and Tony spending large amounts of money on timber. I just hope the car made it back OK and that Tony is not sleeping in the shop tonight. (Well dear the list does say a 'pallet' of Oak :^o)
I am now the proud owner of a MKII honing guide, which copes with the blade from my #80 very nicely, at a show special price of £27.75 \:D/

Pete (as in cambourne) I hope the 2 year old did not stop you picking out a good deal on some timber. :wink:

Well all I have to do now is find enough tuits for all of the timber in the shop to become the furniture/boxes or toys that its ear marked for.

I hope to see you all again sometime and if you are ever in the Sudbury, PM me and you are welcome to stop by for a drink and chat and you may even get out with out a layer of sawn dust! #-o

Well Dave yes it was a good day out and we got back ok (not sure about the car though).
Nice to meet Gill, Andrew and Pete. I must apologise for the photo, I have been avoiding that area of the site for a long while..............but I think Dave got my best side :shock: .

Tonies tree and a half is now stacked in his workshop not sure how he will get in there to do anything mind. My four pieces(all I could fit in the car after tony's spree) are secured.

Dave did you get your tree back ok?

My veritas mkII cost £27 after complaining that the box was open, and it had been used (only just though). Dont you just love a bargain :D

Bean

Thanks Dave for the Photos, they are now in the Gallery.

Thanks Andrew and Bean for submitting with a smile.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable day out. Amusing, intelligent company and some good exchanges of information and techniques. His Lordship found his enthusiasm for turning rekindled and stocked up on various exotic woods. Thank goodness for that - it'll keep his hands off my scrollsaw. Mind, it still doesn't excuse him from mowing the lawn this weekend (hammer) .

I stocked up on some maple for the unavoidable side table (cheers Alf ;) ) which I'm thinking of producing in conjunction with some yew that's been laying around for a couple of years. I also acquired one or two new finishing oils to play around with.

Naturally, I headed straight to the SIP demonstration as soon as I realised they were demonstrating their scrollsaw. I didn't even remark on the demonstrator mentioning that the saw was supplied with a rubber mat to counter vibration! There was no need; with feigned innocence, I asked him to change the blade. After a brief struggle he sought advice from a colleague and I left the pair of them mulling over the problem as they set to work dismantling the saw with various tools. When I returned a few minutes later I noticed the scrollsaw had been withdrawn from the demonstration :twisted: :lol: .

One of the great virtues of encountering the other guys from UK Workshop was that they were able to confirm the the SIP SCMS as a good buy for only £135, especially Tony who has one of his own. Thanks for the help, guys :eek:ccasion5: . The SIP demonstrators were still prepared to talk to me so I picked one up (an SCSM that is, not a demonstrator :oops: ). Actually, I had an interesting conversation with the SIP rep who told me their firm had been around for almost 50 years making welding equipment. SIPs arrival on the woodworking scene about 3 years ago arose after the appointment of a new design engineer who had previously worked for major woodworking tool manufacturers including Kity. Apparently, they value feedback and constructive criticism from demonstrations as a method of improving their products - as an example, the addition of a trenching facility to the SCSM arose as a result of customer comments. So I explained the limitations of their scrollsaw to him :).

Just before we left we noticed three guys clustered round a pallet of oak and a hard working Good Timber employee with a hot chainsaw in his hand. I know it was a bargain, but do you really need all that oak, Tony ;) ?

Gill

Gill
As one who loaded it and unloaded it I can confirm there was a lot of it. Rumor hereabouts is that he's expecting rain, and as nobody seems to stock gopher wood these days :roll:

Mind now hes got it all in his workshop there's no room for him :lol:

Bean

Had a good day out - it was good to meet people and even my brother Richard didn't seem too bored. :)
Ethan (now 2 years 7.5 months) didn't stop me - despite going splatt spectacularly and bruising his knee - picking up 5 largish boards for £39. They're all around 2" thick and I think they're oak. They have all got interesting features and sap wood but I think they'll be OK.

In the end I didn't get any wood for a bench - Richard managed to stop me by confusing me. "Does the bench top need to be 2 or 3 inches thick?" "Why waste good wood on a bench?" "You'll get much less waste with the [almost perfect no wastage] beech in the building rather than the [very wany-edged] beech on these pallets"... You get the picture :roll:

I must re-read the workbench book soon...

See y'all at Yandles then?

Pete

Great day out :)

Lovely to meet up with Dave again and thanks to Bean for the lift :wink:
Met Andrew, Cambourne Pete and Gill (+1) for the first time too which was a real pleasure - thanks to all for a great day.

I did (as has become evident) want to get some Oak for my next project and found a nice half pallet of it. £109 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Eventually, me and Bean managed to carry it all into the workshop and...

Pile-small.jpg

A few hours on the bandsaw and then the P/T gave me..

Planed-small.jpg

Chips-small.jpg

8.7cu ft of Oak for £109 :) I am pretty chuffed with that 8)

"A few hours"? Like how many. 67?! :lol: Nice haul; what went wrong, Bean? Couldn't get away in time eh? :wink: Funny how I now find myself thinking of oak smoked something now... :-k

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back