David Stanley tool auction Friday 3 Jan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheffield Tony":1g3n74fv said:
I wish I had been able to meet up with you lot rather than working !

I looked at the catalogue and thought that the estimates looked unrealistically low in many cases - eg the Record compass planes and skew rebate planes. I assimed that this is a ploy to lure the punters in ...

Spot on Tony - in the trade they're known as "come and buy me estimates"

The theory is that some people will turn up because of the low estimate, find that it goes for well over their budget but buy some less expensive item/s on the basis of "well now I'm here I might as well buy something anyway"!

A great day and a great meet - up. Very good to meet you at last Toby and Pete.

A great pity that Douglas couldn't make it as this was up for grabs:

A boxed set of wood taps and dies from about 1 - 1/2" up to about 3". I think Andy T may have taken pictures of it as well and probably better ones. Did anyone notice how much it went for? I missed it.

As always, I was on the hunt for a small, right handed side axe and there were the usual big heavy ones - Gilpin, Marples etc. but on one table there was my dream axe - a tiny 'gentleman's' axe by that elusive chap - Holtsapafflepiffle. You know the one. I knew I couldn't afford it so I didn't even ask the price.
I pointed it out to Richard Arnold, who pointed it out to Bill Carter, who bought it. I asked Bill if I could take a photo of it; here's Bill holding it.

It is a beautiful little thing. He asked me if I liked it - I said I did - then he gave it to me. HE GAVE IT TO ME !! Sorry about that, I've never raised my voice on the forum before but I am quite excited. It's my dream tool.

I don't think it has been sharp for many years but it won't take long. It needs a handle worthy of it and it has a slight ding at the top of the edge but who cares?

I never dreamed that I would ever own anything with that name on it (Hoffelpiffllepaffle) but this is just incredible. Endless thanks Bill. I have insisted that I make Bill a levercap in return and I really hope he takes me up on it.

Brilliant day out 8)

Great start to 2014 meeting up with you all.
I tried but failed to buy a couple of items :cry:

Thanks for putting the "Planemakers" planes pictures up Pete :wink:

Cheers
Andy

Wow Richard, what a fantastic gift.

The Taps/dies went for £500.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Might have been a tad too much for anyone intending to actually use them but who knows. Funny lot these toolies.

I still can't believe he just gave me the axe so soon after buying it. I've been getting it back towards sharp today. Sorry Toby but the mitre plane may take a little longer than two days .....

I should have gone, I knew it. Jim's fault.
I did browse the catalogue but totally missed the taps/dies. If they were in reasonable nick that is a snip.
And how much did the Moseley h&r set go for Andytat?

Knowing how much Bill likes a nice axe, he must like you a LOT Richard. You recall the axe Bill had at Mac last year?...

journal1.jpg

I do think if I am trying not to buy tools, best stay away really #-o

Attachments

• journal1.jpg
    journal1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,203
I'm glad I didn't go, I'd have to be out on the street corner by now to pay for everything I'd bought =P~

Think I'd be out there in the cold for quite some time too :lol:

See how much I saved you Douglas! £500 for a set of wood taps! I do think that's a bit steep myself...you can make your own you know! (sets out challenge...gloves firmly down! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Bill is such a great guy Richard. That Holtzapffel axe is indeed a beauty.

Sad to have missed my good buddies but will be at the posh DS auction...looking for an infill mitre...for which I need to start saving!

Cheers

Jimi

Evening gents,
what a fantastic axe,
on the subject of showing off what bill gave away i thought id show my gift from our local hero. this gorgeous mitre plane :)
you can check it out at:
http://www.billcarterwoodworkingplanema ... mages.html

its made from bog oak over 4000 years old :shock:
and the wedge and mouth closer? are made from victory oak

what a stunning plane. i talked with Bill and Sarah a lot that day and they are both the nicest people. during our talk i mentioned i loved his bog oak plane and he casually picked it up and said, is this the one you like? and offered it to me.
i was gob smacked and over the moon. here i held a bill carter plane, safe to say i had a child's grin on my face :mrgreen:

thanks bill & sarah

i hope to see everyone again at the international auction and those that couldn't make it.

these photos took me ages and i did a spell check lol. oh the skull i found on a walk in Wiltshire today with the dogs, my newest skull to my ever growing collection.
cheers
TT

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_7071.JPG
    IMG_7071.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_7072.JPG
    IMG_7072.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_7073.JPG
    IMG_7073.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_7074.JPG
    IMG_7074.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_7075.64972962.JPG
    IMG_7075.64972962.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,149
WOW Toby! That is one of the planes I had a chat with Bill about at Mac Timbers open day a while back.

Bog oak is something very very special and I have a huge (for bog oak!) chunk which I think may find a use one day.

That stuff is super hard too! I bet it's a nightmare to turn into such a delicate plane. The Victory Oak was some Bill scored a while back...how many planes in the world have been made using wood from HMS Victory? Not unique (because Bill made a few) but blinkin rare and something to hand down to your grandchildren for sure!

The whole auction aside...the meeting of friends aside...that plane alone is worth many many trips to Leicestershire from Dorset without a doubt.

I can almost feel you smiling from here!!!!! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Jimi

toolsntat":23rnpg9n said:
condeesteso":23rnpg9n said:
And how much did the Moseley h&r set go for Andytat?

Sorry should have mentioned before :oops:
Was £200 ish :shock: :wink:

Toby, absolutely wonderful :shock: :ho2 =P~

Andy

Over double there estimate. I didn't pay much attention to the auction after my lots. I do know I'm not buying off ebay anymore (unless I need it ;) and saving for the auction.
Was a great day

TT

jimi43":1020zn5j said:
WOW Toby! That is one of the planes I had a chat with Bill about at Mac Timbers open day a while back.

Bog oak is something very very special and I have a huge (for bog oak!) chunk which I think may find a use one day.

That stuff is super hard too! I bet it's a nightmare to turn into such a delicate plane. The Victory Oak was some Bill scored a while back...how many planes in the world have been made using wood from HMS Victory? Not unique (because Bill made a few) but blinkin rare and something to hand down to your grandchildren for sure!

The whole auction aside...the meeting of friends aside...that plane alone is worth many many trips to Leicestershire from Dorset without a doubt.

I can almost feel you smiling from here!!!!! :mrgreen:

Cheers

I'm still smiling :)
The history behind this plane is unreal, I'm currently reading about the ship itself now, I to love bog oak never used any yet.
I want a collection like David Barron's (bills planes)
The start of a new collection, I said to bill that I'm going to make a wooden mitre plane so hopefully I can bring it to the next auction and show him. I also brought his cd that gives a great insight to making his metal mitres.
Amazing stuff.
Would be good to see you at the next one mate

TT

Jimi

It really was rather a splendid day, even for those of us who had to pay for what we came home with!

Bill Carter really is one of a kind.

I'm really glad it worked out so well for everyone.

:D :D :ho2

God, looks at these statistics I miss out in some bargains. Owell the next sale isn't to far away hopefully I can make it
Thanks Andy
TT

Back