David Stanley auction and User tool prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got back from this annual bean feast. It is very similar in format to the Tony Murland auction with many of the same people showing up - probably to sell what they bought at the last one!

The auction is plainly more popular with collectors rather than users but that is fine with me. Good quality user stuff is available at reasonable prices. I picked up a nice set of hollows and rounds and a couple of Stanley dado planes - a 1/4 and 3/4 inch, also some small carving chisels I needed.

There were a few Lie Nielsen tools which were unused and sold for about 2/3 new price. Excellent user Stanley planes were going for good prices too - nice between the wars models of 5,6, and 7 mostly for less than £100. A 29 1/2 jointer by Nurse went for £120

The most expensive items sold whilst I was there (I left before the end) were a couple of Dutch one man crosscut saws sold for £3000 and £3600. These were definitely wall models rather than users!

Interesting Chris,
Did you happen to see the sale price of the 30" jointer by bill carter.

Ian

Ian,

Unfortunately, I did not stay long enough to see that go (I had spent my allowance by then!). There was also pair of mitre planes by him with left and right skew. They were absolutely gorgeous with box infills and the finest mouths I have ever seen on a plane. Given their small size and the tightness of the moths, I would guess they would have suited a maker of fine boxes best. These were probably even more valuable than the jointer.

Did you happen to see a Stanley 52 being sold? (That's the metal, adjustable shooting "board" plus plane)
There's a guy near me has one for sale, supposedly in perfect condition, and I gather there was also one at the auction. Sounds as if it would probably be an exorbitant collector's piece, but you never know.

Dick,
Yes, I saw that go - it went for £420 which I thought was a very good price. It seemed very nearly complete and was in very good condition but lacked the hold-down. The last one I saw offered by a dealer, complete with hold-down was on offer at £700.

houtslager":2emjfqaw said:
Dick the guy who is selling the 52 and plane wants offers in the region of £1000 :-({|=

Yes - well, to be fair, he did suggest "between £800 and £1000" when I spoke to him. I didn't comment, but thought "exorbitant"!

Makes things a bit silly for those who want to <use> older tools, not just gaze at them. But I guess it takes all sorts.....

Back