David Finck book: Making & Mastering Wood Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you are familiar with the book, originally published a few years ago and recently out of print. I'm also sure that some were aware that a new, updated version has just been released.

You might not know that Amazon UK now has stock:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 32-3248638

I ordered my copy on Friday and, despite Amazon reporting delivery in "one to two weeks", it turned up yesterday :).

And what a wonderful book it is. I'm not familiar with the original version but I understand the main change - apart from the updated content - is the inclusion of new colour photography and line drawings. I can say that the new illustrations are fantastic, well up to the standard we've come to expect from US publications.

In addition to the obvious content on making your own Krenov-style woodies (and those sections are comprehensive and highly-detailed), there's lots more I wasn't really expecting. It includes sections on the tools you'll need; how to choose the right wood and blades; how to make your own blades if you want to go that route; a good workthrough for fettling a bandsaw; and several chapters on planing technique, shooting boards and other jigs.

Highly recommended, not only if you want to make your own wood plane, but also if you want a detailed run-through of fettling and using woodies acquired from other sources.

It truly is a great book! Not only on making but sharpening and especially the techniques and use chapters. Very informative.
Worth a read,
Philly :D

Great book. I bought the original (black and white photos). All I need is a
bandsaw before I have a go a trying to make one.

bugbear":1wl8v6nt said:
I don't think a bandsaw is essential.

Indeed not. There's even a guide to laminating thin stock for your blank, which Finck describes as "an acceptable solution". So given the right thin stock, you could do it without a saw of any description.

Pete W":3hg976en said:
bugbear":3hg976en said:
I don't think a bandsaw is essential.

Indeed not. There's even a guide to laminating thin stock for your blank, which Finck describes as "an acceptable solution". So given the right thin stock, you could do it without a saw of any description.

Hi Pete. I just reread that section. He's actually saying it's an
acceptable solution to laminate thinner stock as opposed to
using a solid blank before resawing on a bandsaw.

Back