David Charlesworth workbench design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to built a new workbench and I'm mulling over the design.

I have the Workbench Book by Landis and a collection of other ideas, and 5 year of experience of my temporary one.

Now I'm intrigued by Davids Charlesworth's design, there are a few photos on his site, but was wondering if anyone has any links to any more articles/photos so I can understand it more?
http://www.sawleandvaughan.co.uk/charlesworth_workbench_4528.php

Just so you know where I'm starting from:

Lessons from my workbench:

What I won't do again:
Veritas double screw end vice (the handles get in the way as they don't slide of of the way)
Round dogs (they stick when the weather gets damper)
Tool tray (it just collects junk)
Semi automatic vice (one with a clutch next time)

What I like:
Mine is 7cm higher than it should be for my height
My sliding board holder - looks great works even better
Dogs along the full length of the bench (I know this is normal but I use them a lot)
My spot light fitted to a dog (surprisingly useful)

Andy,

Funny you ask I am in the process of building a bench loosely based on David Charlesworths design. I am trying to get it done for the competition, this limits the pictures I can post.

If you wait around I will be posting a few construction pictures and will be commenting on it in use over the next couple of years. :shock:

Andy
Don't know if you have DC's two books? There's info on his bench in one of them (sorry, cant remember which off-hand :roll: ). Also He goes on about it a bit in his 3rd DVD.
Cheers
Philly :D

There is also an article on making one in an old issue of F&C, can dig it out & scan if you want.

Jason

Jason : If you could scan it that would be super Thanks a million.

Philly, never thought about his books (oh no more for the collection) I did see his lift out tool tray base on DVD 3 though, it was that that got me thinking

Back