David Charlesworth Planing Video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I picked up David Charlesworths new hand planing DVD at the Axminster show. It's the second in his series and covers hand planing in great detail (who would of thought? :lol: )
It goes into as much detail as you could possibly expect and is absolutely fantastic. I was particularly impressed with the planing to thickness section. He hand planes a piece and then measures it with calipers-it was within 2 thou all round-very impressive!!! :shock:
I would say this video is not for total hand plane beginners, but if you are interested in furthering your planing skills this is THE video.
regards
Philly :D

Hi Philly

I bought the first in the series and I was disappointed in the quality of the video, not DC. Mostly, the picture was ok, but there were parts where the poor quality of the picture was particularly noticeable as it coincided with the camera zooming in to show something in detail.

I think the problem was that it was shot in the US and then converted to our system.

The heading of the thread says video, but then you say that you bought a dvd. :? Which did you get and how was the picture quality?

Cheers
Neil

Neil
I got the DVD-just trying to confuse you! :D
The quality was good-it is partly "live", but it is easily good enough.
cheers

Philly - What does "Partly live" mean? Also is it available on video (Euro format) I don't have a DVD player.

Losos,
Part of the film is shot at a live training course David was giving in the States. This is interspersed with "studio" footage of him showing important details. It really is incredibly useful though-forget the quality, the principles and information are invaluable and easily worth 10 times the cost!!
It is available on video in pal format as well as dvd. I believe Axminster stock it, as well as direct from David Charlesworth or Lie-Nielsen stockists.
regards

Back