Dating Marples Chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on dating Marples chisels, the ones with the split proof handles? These are what I'm talking about,
Marples-Chisel-01.jpg

I was doing a site job recently and quite a few guys on the job had the exact same chisels. Except they weren't exactly the same. Some were branded "Marples" with no logo,
Marples-Chisel-02.jpg

Others were branded "Marples" but with a shamrock style logo,
Marples-Chisel-03.jpg

And yet others were branded "Record Marples".

Attachments

• Marples-Chisel-01.jpg
    Marples-Chisel-01.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,733
  • Marples-Chisel-02.jpg
    Marples-Chisel-02.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,735
  • Marples-Chisel-03.jpg
    Marples-Chisel-03.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,733
I think there are several generations of those particular chisels, The shape of the steel changed a couple of times as well as the handles having changed logos and sizes. I'm pretty sure I've seen some that were Marples Ridgway as well.

As far as dating goes I couldn't help you with that. I'm as bad with chisels as I am with women :)

I'm pretty sure that the shamrock ones would be oldest, the plain Marples next, and the Record Marples most recent, though probably still old enough to have been made in Sheffield.
I'll see if I can confirm that soon.

I think the ones with the shamrock (like the older again "Hibernia") are probably the oldest, followed by the plain Marples, then the Record Marples. The newer again have the much larger bolster. I don't know when they were first sold, but I had set for Xmas in about 1968 and I think they were common enough then.

I can't find much for definite.

A 1958 retail pamphlet available online shows the no 603 "Extra Heavy" chisels with a plain Marples name in an oval on a handle as shown in Custard's photo.

A similar booklet from 1961 which I have shows the similar 373 bevel edge / 313 plain firmer (ie not as heavy as the 603) with the same oval plastic handle and the same Marples name. The same handles appear in the 1971-2 Buck and Hickman catalogue.

The Record Marples branding ended in 1982 according to this urbex site https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/r ... 014.89091/.

custard":12l65aer said:
.....I was doing a site job recently

Really? I didn't think that was your thing.

I have one like this, recovered from a skip (it's brilliant), so I'm interested in the answer too.

I have at least 10 of those splitproof so watching with interest as well, I'll be out checking what's on the handles tomorrow.

Bod":1q3rmrxt said:
Has anyone claimed on the split proof guarantee yet?

Bod
I should have, my ham fisted brother broke one of mine a few years ago, used a club hammer on it! :roll:

Another little data point; RCF Tools catalogue, summer 1976, illustrates the Marples M373 b/e firmer chisels. They have the word 'Marples' in capitals, formed into the handle in a sunken section (as second photo in OPs post), round section neck with defined round bolster as the OPs first photo (not the more modern coned section neck and bolster), and 'Marples' on the top face of the blade at the tang end, with 'Made in' above it and 'England' below it. The Marples Shamrock logo is also there, just to the right of the 'Marples' on the blade. The description also states that the handles have the red and amber finish.

This is from a site which I bookmarked a while back and then forgot about. It's a labour of love by a long time Marples tools user and collector, Roger P. Ball.

This page is devoted to chisels.
http://www.williammarplesandsons.com/ch ... ouges.html

Scroll down to the end and you will see all the variants noted above, and more besides. I don't think anyone is going to come up with anything more detailed or definitive!

Thanks for the link Andy, had a quick shufty and realised I have some scruffy old blue Marples as well plus of course the obligatory wood handled ones, will be interesting finding out when they were made.

This made me smile

Don't they LOOK nice!
If this set is in your workshop, I feel sorry for you because there are so many good but older real MARPLES chisels available,if you would but look.

lurker":1pmymsno said:
This made me smile

Don't they LOOK nice!
If this set is in your workshop, I feel sorry for you because there are so many good but older real MARPLES chisels available,if you would but look.
:lol: Mine were all picked up at boot sales for pennies Lurker and used out on site where it didn't matter that my ham fisted brother buggered them up, that's why I need to search them out as chucked in a box since I retired, certainly not my go to chisels.

Wood handled old steel is so much nicer to use.

Iirc my most extortionately priced chisels were half a dozen Wards ............. They were £4 each. :shock: :D
When I last had a clear out I sold on about 150 chisels, and besides the ones I use I've probably still got another sixty - I have been buying for while. :D

phil.p":33hanzm3 said:
When I last had a clear out I sold on about 150 chisels, and besides the ones I use I've probably still got another sixty - I have been buying for while. :D

:lol: :lol:

phil.p":2gaz9hee said:
Iirc my most extortionately priced chisels were half a dozen Wards ............. They were £4 each. :shock: :D

You would die in my workshop, Phil. You'd faint and die. I have 9 chisels, I think, and only use 5 of them.

Latest posts

Back