Dating dressing table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks too straight a grain for camphor, I've only ever seen it be quite swirly/gnarly

Looks like Larch to me. Edges are machine made and handles look to be circa 1930/40 although could be later. What are the draw bottoms made of? Are draws dovetailed?

Its looks Edwardian to me with Art Nouveau influenced handles. Circa 1905. I can't imagine they would use a cheap softwood although it resembles camphorwood. Was there a scent in the air when sanding !?
No scent that I noticed

Looks like Larch to me. Edges are machine made and handles look to be circa 1930/40 although could be later. What are the draw bottoms made of? Are draws dovetailed?
Yes drawers are dovetailed (machined) bottom is ply and been bevelled to fit groove in sides and front

...I can't imagine they would use a cheap softwood...
Paraná Pine is -- firstly -- not Pine, but, more to the point, not 'cheap softwood'. Yes it's a 'softwood' in the terms that it is evergreen but it's actually Araucaria angustifolia. Still a conifer and actually as close to Cedar as it is Pine.

Though not on the CITES list it is considered 'Critically Endangered'.

One of its major benefits is the fact that the clear bole can be 35m tall, 1m dia. and virtually knot free.

Paraná Pine is -- firstly -- not Pine, but, more to the point, not 'cheap softwood'. Yes it's a 'softwood' in the terms that it is evergreen but it's actually Araucaria angustifolia. Still a conifer and actually as close to Cedar as it is Pine.

Though not on the CITES list it is considered 'Critically Endangered'.

One of its major benefits is the fact that the clear bole can be 35m tall, 1m dia. and virtually knot free.

I take your point and acres of the stuff have been used in ceilings since the 1960's. However the Edwardians were a bit posh and thought nothing of making furniture with whatever tropical hardwood they could get their hands on. Satinwood was very popular at the time giving that golden look. It is entirely possible that the piece was made of Parana Pine in the 1920s and given a few coats of cellulose varnish to make it look like satinwood.

Looks a little like Satin Walnut, Sweet Gum, that grows in the Eastern US. It can be stained up to look like walnut and it is fairly soft.
That's my contribution to the confusion. :)

Pete

I'm still betting on horse chestnut. Nothing like sweet chestnut. Pale to pink, featureless indistinct straight grain, softish, ideal for strong coloured finish. Was used in cheap furniture as it can come as wide boards.
https://www.wood-database.com/horse-chestnut/

Latest posts

Back