Data hungry aps on mobile phones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
A heads-up for mobile phone users with a data limit. I'm on a monthly mobile phone contract from Tesco with a monthly data limit of 1GB. I started with 500MB but suddenly started using data at a rate of knots so upgraded the limit. When I started to reach the higher limit I rang Tesco to enquire why I was suddenly using so much data. They can't actually tell you if a particular site is to blame because of data protection but the lass went through a few general items like use of You Tube then asked me if I had location services turned on? I walk a lot so use the GPS function with Viewranger and always leave location services on. She advised this was probably the problem because it is very data hungry and to only switch it on when you are using the ap. It was the answer. I'm now back to using less than 500MB per month.
Regards Keith

Woodchips2":v98mx72y said:
A heads-up for mobile phone users with a data limit. I'm on a monthly mobile phone contract from Tesco with a monthly data limit of 1GB. I started with 500MB but suddenly started using data at a rate of knots so upgraded the limit. When I started to reach the higher limit I rang Tesco to enquire why I was suddenly using so much data. They can't actually tell you if a particular site is to blame because of data protection but the lass went through a few general items like use of You Tube then asked me if I had location services turned on? I walk a lot so use the GPS function with Viewranger and always leave location services on. She advised this was probably the problem because it is very data hungry and to only switch it on when you are using the ap. It was the answer. I'm now back to using less than 500MB per month.
Regards Keith

Yup...we got 'conned' by Vodafone when we bought a PAYG for the missus. She rarely uses her phone and so I thought the £20 credit I stuck on it was going to be good for ages. Then I found out it had all been eaten up because Vodafone and the mobile manufacturer stuff so many useless apps on that you can't get rid of (now if there was ever an instance for the EU to do something useful for once) and that Vodafone default the mobile to Cellular Data ON and that these apps keep wanting to call home for no good reason. Each time they do this they 'rob' your credit. £0.20 here. £0.40 there. Result ...gobbled up the £20.

Tesco and Vodaphone both rip offs, the best deal I've found is carphone warehouse, I only pay £3.98 a month on a rolling contract but own my phone, it's an i-phone. I would never go back to tesco or vodaphone again, especially the latter.

Be aware that a 4g connection on your phone will eat data even if the mobile data is turned off.

The reason is that to check whether you have a 4g connection available it communicates with the mast and that uses data, only a small amount but it adds up over time and if you are a PAYG type contract then that quickly chews away at your pennies. I found on my phone it was using a few pence per day doing this.
Luckily it's simple to cure, just change connection type to 3g in your settings and the problem will stop. If you need a 4g signal at some point it takes a few clicks to switch it back on temporarily.

Rorschach":12yovkr1 said:
Be aware that a 4g connection on your phone will eat data even if the mobile data is turned off.

The reason is that to check whether you have a 4g connection available it communicates with the mast and that uses data, only a small amount but it adds up over time and if you are a PAYG type contract then that quickly chews away at your pennies. I found on my phone it was using a few pence per day doing this.
Luckily it's simple to cure, just change connection type to 3g in your settings and the problem will stop. If you need a 4g signal at some point it takes a few clicks to switch it back on temporarily.

Luckily living in the BoB, we can but dream of 4g ! But a very useful tip.

RogerS":1twld6xi said:
Rorschach":1twld6xi said:

Luckily living in the BoB, we can but dream of 4g ! But a very useful tip.

Your phone might still use data trying to connect, not sure on that but something to be aware of.

It never used to bother me when I had a contract but now I am on PAYG and the minimum data charge is a penny so I was getting charged multiple pence per day for small data packets. Other than that I am much happier with my PAYG, exceedingly cheap.

Back