Darn that Rob Lee

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
My next purchase is going to be a LA jack plane. I've been looking long and hard at them for months now and I'm taking the plunge. I'm building a new workbench and I told the wife that I just had to have the jack to make truing the top that much easier. I had it all worked out in my mind to get the Lie Nielsen, but then my Veritas LA smoother arrived and it blew my plans out of the water.

I've got to say, the biggest improvement with the Veritas planes over the more traditional offerings is the mouth adjustment, allowing for very easy chip clearance -- so easy it makes me giggle. I want the Lie Nielsen, I really really really do. I dig its clean lines with the bronze bits. But, I can't deal with the frustration of picking chips out of the mouth when all I do with my Veritas is twist the knob, blow out the chips and reset the mouth. Do I get the LN just to gaze at while I grab the Veritas when I really want to enjoy the task at hand. Would the Veritas get jealous?

Ok, rant over. Thanks for listening. :wink:

LN is as good to use as the LV. LV is as to use good as the LN

Take your pick :wink:

Cheers

Tony

Who's choice was LN due to higher quality finish and materials:D

Who's choice was LN due to higher quality finish and materials:D[/quote]

Tony :) surely you meant to choose function over form....I find the LV LA smoother just works better than my one LN despite the LN looking like the bees knees the LV just works without any fiddling.

But it is quite difficult to resist the gleam and burnish of the LN which really looks the part.

I have the L-N Jack and the L-V smoother-both fantastic planes! I prefer teh handles on the Lie-Nielsen, though.
cheers
Philly :D

Ditto for the handles. I like the greater downward pressure LN handles allow you to put on the board. I also find the LV ones more tiring after a while. That's about the only real edge I'd give to LN though, I'm talking about the two low-angle jacks here not the bench planes. What I like most on the LV is the longer nose.
Frank

beech1948":39qqexp7 said:
Tony :) surely you meant to choose function over form....

:lol: :lol:

Function is the same for both, fantastic, but I am an engineer and so there was no real choice to be made for me :wink:

Cheers

Tony

(who does prefer the engineering on the LV shoulder panes to LN )

Latest posts

Back