Dark marks - heat damage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk065

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents.

I am looking for some advice in relation to repair of a wooden top on a cotswald company Portland grey chest of drawers. The top is natural wood and is not painted.

Unfortunately my other half placed curling tongs on the top which has darkened the wood and removed whatever finish was on it. (I can tell as when the light shines on the surface it is no longer glossy at certain angles).

I have contacted the company to try and establish what finish is on the wood to no avail.

My intention was to sand back and re finish. It doesn't look like the wood is damaged (although it is a bit darker). There is a similar spot on the furniture where I assume some nail varnish has dropped onto the top and it has removed the finish and made the wood darker in a similar manner so I'm not entirely convinced that is a scortch mark and rather a consequence of the finish coming away.

A couple of questions I would appreciate an answer to is in your experience have you seen instances where removal of finish has resulted in a darker wood? Also. Also I intend on sanding a refinishing. Would this remove the darker stain?

I am a total novice so please go easy!

Thanks in advance for your help

Without pictures these are guesses, but ...

1. The wood is probably scorched, but not badly from your description should sand out.

2. If nail varnish damaged the finish it's likely some kind of polyurethane varnish.

3. You want to refinish the whole top - a patch of new finish will stick out like a sore thumb. Go back to bare wood, patches or hints of old finish stand out too.

4. As you're a total novice, some kind of wiping varnish is your best bet. Wipe on, leave a couple of minutes, wipe off all the excess. Repeat once dry, and keep going until you like the effect. Others will advise on brands.

Much appreciated for your reply. I should have made it clear that it was a nail polish remover and not nail polish itself. I'm only assuming that as it's a circular mark that looks like a drop and the only thing near the chest of drawers in liquid form is that.

It doesn't appear to be that bad but still noticable enough to want me to mend it. I will sand back and refinish.

I would send pictures but as I am new I need to make 3 posts before I can post links.

Back