dare I mention computer aggro again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit the bullet yesterday afternoon and purchased a router for the internet.
Called in a local engineer to purchase from and requested a setup at the same time. It certainly was a good idea to let him set it up, after one hour we had to settle for no internet explorer8, windows live mail locked up each time the send button was touched.
Finished up with mozilla firefox and thunderbird mail on the windows7 now 32bit.
The Mcfee would not clean out, he tried Revo.

This morning the router will not connect, so I have had to plug the modem direct to desktop. (I suspect the weather????????? )

In addition the laptop is now windows 7 32 bit because the recovery system would not restore 64 bit (error). So I had to use a 32bit recovery disk also supplied when new.

Had ago at Amazon about the recovery, they have offered immediately by return mail.

£44 discount to part cover the cost of a new recovery disk from Toshiba.

Exchange of laptop Toshiba L550-1CC 17.3 screen.

Or full refund.

What do you think?

Hi DW, sorry you're having so many problems.

If I were you I would go for the exchange of computers. I would also not use Internet Explorer. Firefox would be a good alternate. I use Chrome and like that very much.

As to the router, I don't know what that's all about. Did you turn it off last night?

Good luck getting it sorted.

very strange, the laptop now works of the router but the old desktop will not work today;

cannot get java script to load on laptop
cannot get adobe flash to (10.1) to load on laptop

sketchup is retired for the time being

Yes that is what I am thinking, get a full refund and start again and purchase anywhere.

OK the desktop computer internet connection has unexpectedly come back into action without any spec. changes. It must be bad weather here today upsetting reception of the device.

No...

tin-can-string1.jpg

:lol: :lol:

The modem has a cable to the router and then it goes wireless.

Roger I looked at the Apple mac laptop and it was over £1600 for a 16" screen and I am not going down in screen size for that money.

The previous wireless router set up I had seemed to take a long time to connect to one of the computers sometimes. I never did sort out why. We didn't have it very long when we switched to DSL and got a different wireless modem/router

devonwoody":2zexeppg said:
The modem has a cable to the router and then it goes wireless.

Roger I looked at the Apple mac laptop and it was over £1600 for a 16" screen and I am not going down in screen size for that money.

Who mentioned Macs? :shock:

But as we're on the subject, nothing like £1600. £1269 in the refurb store. The thing is it will be still running fine - maybe even faster as they make performance improvements with each iteration of the OS - ten years from now.

I've set up a couple of Win7 systems without too many problems, both 64 bit. Had exactly your trouble with Windows Live Mail on a Vista system - dumped it for Thunderbird and all was well.

It was a long rime ago, but the last time I used a (presumably USB) broadband 'modem' plugged into a router, I had to use a particular router in order to keep the connection open - could you not replace your 'modem' with a combination wirelesss router/modem? Just thinking it's one less piece of kit to have to set up/fail...

As an aside, Apple don't make a 16" laptop - it's 13", 15" or 17"

Cheers, Pete

Pete I only got the router yesterday. I dont think a change is on the cards, I am virgin cable they might do what you suggest for new customers.

devonwoody":2er5dga6 said:
Pete I only got the router yesterday. I dont think a change is on the cards, I am virgin cable they might do what you suggest for new customers.

Ah, OK didn't realise; from your Virgin Cable, does your broadband terminate in a regular phone socket or an ethernet connection? And what make & model wireless router is it? Just wondering as it's fairly unusual these days to find one that doesn't have a 'modem' in it, and if it does then the two 'modems' may not be playing nicely and causing the problems you're having??

Just thinking out loud here - have you tried plugging your broadband directly into your wireless router?

Pete

TP-LINK
54mbps wireless G router.
model TL-WR340G

ethernet socket in wall to modem Not telephone socket

No modem in router, hence cable from modem to router.

I think it must have been bad weather this morning that upset router, it was pretty rough down here earlier.

OK, fair enough; not sure what to suggest that hasn't already been done. I have an old BT Home Hub (wireless router/modem combo made by Thomson) knocking around somewhere that you'd be welcome to try, but I'm pretty sure it needs a phone socket to pick up the broadband line, not ethernet, so not much help I'm afraid.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers, Pete.

Thanks. It will all get sorted out in the wash.

Some progress in the past hour.

Java script and adobe flash work if using google chrome but not in other browsers.
Anyone know how to make above universal, there is a way if the set up is known.

Hi devonwoody - I think that if you are using Firefox you will need to update the flash plugin - I think that javascript is an on/off setting in each specific browser.
No real magic bullet one-setting-fits all ! Just have to trawl through the plugin/tools/settings for each browser.

Had a skim of this thread but might be worth plugging the modem/router directly into the computer with an ethernet cable for the setup.
Ignore this if you have a working connection but if not, and the modem/router isn't 'talking' to the computer then it might be worth a direct connection and then using a browser to access all the settings and trouble shooting it. May or maynot help...will re-read thread properly now :)
Ed

Thanks EDK, with regard to the router the supplier is going to exchange later today. The router will not operate with my desktop unless after getting the failed to connect dialogue on the desktop I then pull out the low voltage mains supply to the router and push it back in again. See what happens tomorrow.

Java & flash seem to conflict with internet explorer8 ever since Microsoft were made to allow set up of different browsers on there windows machines. I think it is a case of finding the correct web site to download these apps from for them to work correctly.

Back