Dare I ask?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have suffered a set back with my recent purchase of a secondhand xp loaded computer.

My midi apps. (Power Tracks) keeps locking up.

I suspect that it might be a USB 1 type system (pc is 2003). If so can I upgrade to usb3 which works well with my windows7?

Also I have had a thought, I have got a laptop around 7 years old and that has got a VGA connection (blue socket)could I connect a cable and run another monitor from that? (I dont want to try it unless I know it will be OK in case I blow something up)

devonwoody":3c6s7sra said:
I have got a laptop around 7 years old and that has got a VGA connection (blue socket)could I connect a cable and run another monitor from that? (I dont want to try it unless I know it will be OK in case I blow something up)

I would risk it. The VGA socket (IIRC) was specified as a data socket - no power tramsferred. If any monitor has a VGA plug I would assume it could cope with having it put in any old VGA socket. And vice-versa.

Using an external monitor on a laptop is, or was, quite common when I worked in IT. In fact several had 'docking stations' with power/network/mouse/keyboard/monitor adaptors. Drop the laptom in, and use as a desktop, pick up the laptop and take it home as a laptop. Best of all worlds - you could work at home as well as in the office (insert sardonic smilie here).

I always thought that that would be the way to go - with standard conectors all you would need was a Processor/Ram/HardDrive pack. Smaller than a laptop and as powerful as a desktop, But I ramble...

Thanks Dr.Phil, wished I had thought of this idea earlier, because I know the old laptop coped with power tracks and Band in a box,

DrPhill":6bhpmns7 said:
Using an external monitor on a laptop is, or was, quite common when I worked in IT.
I think it should be compulsory - it is impossible to find a comfortable "safe" working position with a laptop without using external monitor, and ideally keyboard and mouse.

I am using my laptop with a monitor, key board and mouse as I type this.

I do this because I find sketchup easier to use.

The only thing you may find is you will have to go into the graphics settings and change the output for the display to the monitor.

On my Lenovo it is a couple of clicks of the mouse to switch it back and forth.

Tom

Devonwoody,

I just had a Google around various USB authorities and have come to the conclusion that USB 2.0 is compatible to USB 3.0 provided you use the standard connectors and not the powered connectors.

USB 1.0 to USB 3.0 is not compatible when you read the spec. USB 3.0 will accept all data speeds from those in USB 1.0 onwards BUT USB 3.0 has 4 extra contacts and there is a little discretion as to how these are used by each different coder/manufacturer.

There has been some indication ( I found 4 cases where users had claimed this) that a USB 1.0 device when plugged into a USB 3.0 device MIGHT work as they are speed compatible at the USB 1.0 level.

A USB 3.0 plugged into a USB 1.0 will NOT work.

Conclusion is to 1) try your USB 1.0 into USB 3.0 it might just work. 2) have a look around for an adaptor or an in computer hub such as this USB 2.0 hub which should be compliant with USB 3.0 and USB 1.0
[urlhttp://www.cables2u.co.uk/port-card-p-541.html?manufacturers_id=6][/url] 3) maybe use a USB hub which is USB 2.0 compliant as an intermediate step between the two systems.

hope this helps
Al

beech1948":3cthp2s4 said:
Devonwoody,

I just had a Google around various USB authorities and have come to the conclusion that USB 2.0 is compatible to USB 3.0 provided you use the standard connectors and not the powered connectors.

USB 1.0 to USB 3.0 is not compatible when you read the spec. USB 3.0 will accept all data speeds from those in USB 1.0 onwards BUT USB 3.0 has 4 extra contacts and there is a little discretion as to how these are used by each different coder/manufacturer.

There has been some indication ( I found 4 cases where users had claimed this) that a USB 1.0 device when plugged into a USB 3.0 device MIGHT work as they are speed compatible at the USB 1.0 level.

A USB 3.0 plugged into a USB 1.0 will NOT work.

Conclusion is to 1) try your USB 1.0 into USB 3.0 it might just work. 2) have a look around for an adaptor or an in computer hub such as this USB 2.0 hub which should be compliant with USB 3.0 and USB 1.0
[urlhttp://www.cables2u.co.uk/port-card-p-541.html?manufacturers_id=6][/url] 3) maybe use a USB hub which is USB 2.0 compliant as an intermediate step between the two systems.

hope this helps
Al

Thank you for your above advice and information.

referring to my most advanced computer W7 with a gigabyte motherboard, I see there are 8 usb sockets coloured red with 3 x usb Power stamped by their side.

I have a further two blue sockets stamped just 3 usb.

All my hardware with usb leads are plugged into the red usb sockets and seem to work.

What hardware needs power sockets do you know?

I have found that some usb sticks will not work on the old second hand computer I purchased the other day so perhaps they are the powered type?

Back