Dan's Den - Workshop Tour.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd post a few piccies of my humble workshop - where I spend most of my working week!

It's not much - but it's home, and it's cheap!

OutsideView-1.jpg

NECorner-1.jpg

NWCorner-1.jpg

SWCorner.jpg

SouthWindow-1.jpg

SprayBooth-1.jpg

Workbench-1.jpg

Lovely, homely (mind you it would have to be!)setup there Dan. Not too clinical but I bet very functional?

May I suggest you replace those horrible, tatty old windows - I'd save you a fortune on a skip as I'll come and pick them up and if I must, I'll put 2 them either side of our front door - perfect size I'd guess!!! :wink: :wink:

Mark

Dan - good set up, as LN has said, some solid lumps of kit in there, didn't see timber storage, or did I miss that? Thanks for showing us - Rob

Thanks for showing Dan.

I like that method of storing clamps

Yesterday after cutting and thicknessing some maple, the amount of sawdust was really getting to me :shock: :)

D

Lord Nibbo":s6e2ajwu said:
Four DW's :shock:

Some real nice heavy iron in them there pics. :D

Actually I've got 4 DW625's - 2 in tables and 2 for kitchen worktops - and 4 DW621's for general use. Oh, and a Festool 1/4" router which I like because of the pistol grip.

I had to sell a lot of my big machines when I moved in here; it is half the size of my last place but I now realise it is perfect - 800sq ft.

Woodbloke":s6e2ajwu said:
didn't see timber storage, or did I miss that?

I've got a big loft which I have racked out for timber storage. There is also a big rack for sheet goods just inside the main door.

Incidentally Rob, if you look very carefully on the last photo, just above the planes behind my bench you will see a genuine Woodbloke marking knife hanging in pride of place!

CNC Paul":s6e2ajwu said:
Nice workshop, it's very posh with the stained glass windows and the cornice.

It was built as the chapel of rest for a funeral directors shop which used to be next door. Consequently we call it 'The Morgue'!

davin":s6e2ajwu said:
Very envious. Just one question - what station is the radio tuned to ?
I must have radio 2, If someone puts on radio 1, I get very grumpy.

Radio 4 in the morning until Lesbian's Hour at 10! Then Radio 2 until the Ginger minger comes on at 5. Then it's Radio 4 again.

It's a blessed relief not to have horrible young people around the place wanting to listen to Radio 1 all day!

Cheers
Dan

Dan wrote:
Incidentally Rob, if you look very carefully on the last photo, just above the planes behind my bench you will see a genuine Woodbloke marking knife hanging in pride of place!
Got that spotted Dan, glad you find it useful, am in the process at the moment of making another couple for some forum members - Rob

That's a very well thought-out workshop you have, thanks for sharing.

You must be the only to be happy with a workshop that's actually smaller than their last though! :D

Don't get me started on Radio One, either...(And I am a young person!) :x

I do like your sash cramp storage idea, where most people who have it running parallel along the length of the wall instead.

hi

im green lol

realy nice workshop there did it take you long to find it?

im trying to set up on my own at the moment and im strugleing to find somewere!

Cheers Dave

OPJ":3vv2ksqc said:
You must be the only to be happy with a workshop that's actually smaller than their last though!

David111s":3vv2ksqc said:
realy nice workshop there did it take you long to find it?

im trying to set up on my own at the moment and im strugleing to find somewere!

Until December I had a workshop twice the size (1500sq ft) that was costing me a fortune. In order to make the place pay I had to employ 2 staff and turn over at least £3500 per week. It all got very stressful! This was it;

thcd889f9f-1.jpg

A friend of mine in the trade was working out of my new place but was finding the overheads difficult to justify as he was out working on site a lot of the time.

So a deal was done and now we share the workshop. We pooled our machinery and sold off the pieces we didn't need. Between us we've got everything you could wish for. The rent is £50 a week each including rates!

The best thing is that business is flying in through the door. We are both booked up until September with nice jobs and I am earning good money for the first time in my woodworking life. With low overheads like this it is perfectly possible to make £800 in a week from £1200 worth of business if you want to work hard. With the overheads I had previously I was lucky to make a quarter of that!

Don't let anyone ever tell you that big is beautiful.

Keep it small and keep it all!

Cheers
Dan

Hey Dan

Nice little shop. Your rent/rates bill is interesting - i've just started pricing up for a similair set up to yours - and that kind of money is exactly what I was hoping I could get something for.

I will take you up on that offer of a shop tour. Not anytime soon though - off to Menorca for two weeks on Friday :D

Cheers

Karl

Actually that's an old photo - they're 3 now. And even more work........

Cheers

Karl

Thanks for posting, very interesting to see and hear the trade side of woodworking.
If things slow down you could always make coffins for your neighbour. :)

Back