Danish oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Nott

Established Member
Reaction score
Right I have given the dining table I made thirty years ago five coats of the bloody stuff and it's still patchy. Dull patches surrounded by unpleasantly glossy ones. So, how do I get rid of this and go back to varnish? Is there a stripper for danish oil?

Was the varnish completely removed? It seems like there were areas where the varnish was not completely removed prior to oiling. You can varnish over danish oil so I would leave it for a week to let the oil dry - then give the top a good sanding - thoroughly clean and apply a good quality varnish

I use danish oil a fair bit, and have experienced similar to what you are describing especially on previously treated oak. What I have found is that I have been able to sort out my issues by generating a lot of heat /friction by pressing hard and making very fast long sweeps. It takes a lot of energy but works for me every time. I guess the same could be achieved with an appropriate polisher .

5 is nothing. I made a small cabinet and as such it must have 20 coats on it. And thats initially. Every year i rub back a little and try to get at least another 3 on.

There's a rule.
Once an hour for a day
Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
And once a year for the rest of its life.

5 is nothing. I made a small cabinet and as such it must have 20 coats on it. And thats initially. Every year i rub back a little and try to get at least another 3 on.

There's a rule.
Once an hour for a day
Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
And once a year for the rest of its life.

That's for linseed oil not Danish.

Right I have given the dining table I made thirty years ago five coats of the bloody stuff and it's still patchy. Dull patches surrounded by unpleasantly glossy ones. So, how do I get rid of this and go back to varnish? Is there a stripper for danish oil?
TIM, I bought Paint Panther Paint and Varnish Remover - It took two goes to get the varnish off for me. But the instructions are clear, sand, treat, scrap off, dry, sand, treat scrap off again. Worked a treat.

Back