Danish oil advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colly8979

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently purchased a reclaimed pine door to match existing doors in property.
I have finished the new door the exact same way as previous doors in property,sanded door down working my way through 80,120,240 sandpaper,wiped down with white spirit then 4 coats of natural danish oil.
The problem I've got is the new door looks far lighter than existing doors and has stopped absorbing any more danish oil ?
Door on left in pic is original door on right is the new reclaimed one.

If anyone could offer any solution to why I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20210209_073336.jpg
    20210209_073336.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 14
The 'why' is almost certainly answered by the difference in time exposed to UV rays and oxidation between the existing doors and your reclaimed door. UV rays and oxidation darken pine and other softwoods through clear finishes. In fact, UV rays and oxidation affect the colour of all wood species to a greater or lesser extent. Generally, but not always, pale woods darken and dark woods bleach or lighten as they age.

It's likely your best solution is to just wait a few months for the colour to start to match existing doors because initial darkening of wood freshly exposed to UV and the experience of oxidation is quite rapid, after which the process slows considerably. I suspect your replacement door was originally painted prior to stripping so, effectively, the wood is relatively new to the significant effects of UV rays and oxidation. Slainte.

You should have been able to see after the first coat that the door wasn't darkening.
At this point you could have added a tint to the Danish oil with some dye stain to darken it and bring it up to the level of the first door.
You still might be able to do this.
You have a couple of options to try.
While waiting for the colour to change is an option I have found this can often take a long time to happen.
If you leave the door to really dry out I would consider using a tinted Ronseal varnish.
Whatever you do it will be down to trial and error.
It's a contentious issue to be honest and won't be the last time that it's discussed.
A lot of finishers will tell you to strip off the Danish oil and refinish it. Then use a wood stain instead.
I stand to be corrected. Regards.

Thanks for the replies.I think I'm going to sand it back and add a drop of wood dye to the danish oil.would a pine dye be the best place to start ? Obviously its trial and error.

Cheers

A lot of work But maybe stripping both doors back would be better. Stain and varnish them both.

to save some time and effort a door stripping dip would probably be your best and quickest way forward.

Fiddes in Cardiff used to have a matching service that gave advice on this sort of thing. Not sure if it's still open.
Maybe another alternative to send your photos to a finishing supplier and ask them. Most have technical departments to assist.
after all the more knowledge you have the better equipped you will be the next time.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Regards.

Last edited:
give it a year and it'll match the other doors due to UV exposure, as long as there's daylight light coming into the room, if you made it match the exsiting doors by darkening it you'll just end up with a darker door and it'll look even worse after 6-12 months.

Quick update. I've sanded one side of door back to bare wood.i wiped it down with white spirit once wiped down the colour is near as damn it to what I want.Daft question should that be the colour it goes once its been oiled ?
Is so im not sure where I went wrong
Ps Danish oil is brand new
Cheers

Heres a pic of door after dipping.Can someone confirm it is pine ? Was just thinking that could be reason in difference in colour ? Ie.its not pine?

Attachments

• IMG-20210108-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210108-WA0004.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 8
Back