Dangerous things nailguns ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mailee":1argze0m said:
How the devil did he manage that? They have a safety device on them??
I imagine there's more to it than the report suggests. :shock:

The BBC report suggests he accidentally pressed the sprung safety against his forehead :shock:

I've not used a proper nailgun so I may simply be ignorant, but how did the nail head end up pointing to the back of his head ? (homer) [according to the x-ray]

monkeybiter":1nqvdtkh said:
The BBC report suggests he accidentally pressed the sprung safety against his forehead :shock:

I've not used a proper nailgun so I may simply be ignorant, but how did the nail head end up pointing to the back of his head ? (homer) [according to the x-ray]

They tried to make an silly person proof nail gun. Instead, they made a better silly person.

Kirk

Most air nailers and some gas guns have what is known as a 'bump' trigger. What this means is that the operator keeps the trigger pulled all the time and when he 'bumps' the nose of the gun against the workpiece the nail fires. I have a paslode air nailer that does this and it is quite sensitive and capable of spitting out 6 nails per second if you just keep it pressed against the surface. So if the gun had one of these triggers and it was pulled----------.
regards, neil.

I have a Senco stapler, bought on ebay a couple of years ago.
No safety nose on it- Do the American built ones have to have safety mechanism fitted ?

All of the nail guns I have seen and used have a safety nose on them. The gun wonlt fire unless this is pressed against something. In bump mode the trigger still has to be pulled back and then it will fire each time the gun is pressed against the work. I can only assume there was no safety device fitted to his gun or the trigger was cable tied back? :roll: I think there is more to it than meets the eye though as someone has mentioned the nail had gone in from the back of his head according to the X ray?? Hmmm.

Years ago when my wife was on A&E, they had a bloke in on 3 seperate occasions with a 90mm ringshank in his arm. Def self inflicted. Made me cringe as I use a paslode and how anyone can do that deliberately once never mind thrice is beyond me. :shock:

Having nailed my finger once (deflection) in thousands of nails fired, I think the gun is as safe as most other machines if treated with care and respect.

Bob

Blokes? Read what Monkeybiter said. Makes sense. BBC? Time to examine the standards of your verification process; some of your 'journalists' need to go back to The Sun or Sport...

Apparently it's quite a common thing.........

people have their finger over the trigger when they are carrying it . if it bumps into anything the safety is depressed and the gun goes off.

Allegedly common amoungst roffers as they carry the paslode up the ladder and it knocks the bloke below???!!

Back