Dangerous Pallets?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They tend to be pallets that have stone slabs, tiles and slates coming on from exotic lands. It can be nice looking hardwood with interesting grains and colours but really steer clear of them. I would not bother using them even if I couldn't see the MB stamp. It just isn't worth it.

Daily express scaremongering imho , the pallets are treated with a gas that yes is highly toxic to those treating the pallets and handling them before the gas is fully dispersed , but by the time any pallets from India make it to the back garden here in the UK any gas treatment will be long gone. If any tiny amount should still be present you would need to ingest/inhale a whole stack of pallets to have any effect.

In keeping with their normal storyline, I expect tomorrow's Express headline to be "New evidence in lady Di crash. Driver had inhaled pallet gas"

Lots of imported stuff gets treated or fumigated as part of basic biosecurity. If it was toxic on arrival in UK warehouse workers would need hazmat suits and there would be loads of industrial health issues.

So, caution as with any treated timber but no need to panic.

The process is probably to ensure no bugs or larvae that are in the wood can be exported alive to other countries, as said once it has travelled for days on a boat it will be safe, maybe if you decide to chew on it then it could pose a risk. Don't forget it was not that long ago we used lead paint for everything in the UK and yet we all survived.

Chances are that most household items will have been in a shipping container fumigated with MB or phosphine. Its done to try and stop pests being transported around the globe. Containers get ventilated to disperse the gas so goods can be handled. No getting away from chemicals in this modern world .
What is Container Fumigation?: Types, Exemptions and Rates
Regards
John

daily express is trash, they are a right wing newspaper, can't be trusted at all as a viable media source.
Ah, Politics. IMHO there is no unbiased media source, whether it be printed or digital. I have not read a newspaper for decades and stopped watching any news or political programmes on TV in 2016. I only get my news from Twitter now. Apparently, Boris Johnson spends his entire days partying and eating babies in 10 Downing Street, Starmer never goes to parties and is a workaholic and the country has been invaded by poxy monkeys but it is okay, 'cos a Ginger Growler is on the case. Life is good.

Ahhhhh, lead paint…..
better than the rubbish now….or is it….?
Certainly better than water based paint….
it's just so u spend more money…..

bit like smart meters…the whole idea is so they know when u charge ur elec car and can get the fuel tax back…..nothing to do with efficiency…

Nobody is saying anything about the environmental damage Putin is doing to the world…

AlanY….I like ur sense of humour
there's another Brit ginger growler in Calif messing with the news….lol….

Ok so what about the treated wood we already buy, ie the stuff that has been pressure treated with:

Chromate Copper Arsenate: Chromate Copper Arsenate (CCA) is a pesticide containing chromium, copper and arsenic that protects wood against termites, fungi and other pests that can degrade or threaten the integrity of wood products. It has been used as a wood preservative pesticide since the 1940s

So only left wing newspapers are reliable sources of information?!🤔🤣🤔🤣🤔🤣
I don’t think any newspapers can be entirely trusted to print what can be relied on, but those at the lower end are usually the worst offenders when it comes to half-truths, distortions, and plain lies.
D

The process is probably to ensure no bugs or larvae that are in the wood can be exported alive to other countries, as said once it has travelled for days on a boat it will be safe, maybe if you decide to chew on it then it could pose a risk. Don't forget it was not that long ago we used lead paint for everything in the UK and yet we all survived.
Well - most of us ;)

Ok so what about the treated wood we already buy, ie the stuff that has been pressure treated with:

Chromate Copper Arsenate: Chromate Copper Arsenate (CCA) is a pesticide containing chromium, copper and arsenic that protects wood against termites, fungi and other pests that can degrade or threaten the integrity of wood products. It has been used as a wood preservative pesticide since the 1940s
I don't think they treat pallets with CCA. The manufacturers would know that pallets find there way into the domestic environs, with no MSDS's. Anyway, a good quality particle respirator would provide sufficient protection during sawing or planing.

Latest posts

Back