Damp proof course

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steliz

Camberwell Carrot
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of a damp proof course that is metal?
To give some context, I live in Hungary and some friends have also bought a property here. Their house has a problem with damp walls and they got a local company to install a dpc as one wasn't installed during construction, which isn't unusual here. The job has started and they are inserting metal plates around the house. None of us are builders so, have no expertise in this but using metal seems somewhat odd.

What sort of metal? Is it continuous (I can't see how it can be)? Could it be some sort of electrode, perhaps, for an electro-osmotic DPC? I've never actually seen one, but I have heard of their occasional use.

Ok, it didn't feel right to me even having little experience of building. What should I point out as the problems? Is it the steel material or the gaps between the sheets? I need to give them a reasoned explanation rather than 'stop the work because the Internet said so'.

Individual sheets like that won't work as a damp course, which needs to be continuous. That's only a minor aside from the complete structural destruction of the house which this process entails.

I know that damp is particularly bad for equipment, let alone wood. In our manufacturing plant we've recently installed air dryers(refrigerated air dryers) to absorb moisture. Might be worth looking into

Not relevant from here, but purely for interest, I have seen a timber framed building set on stone walls, with a lead damp proof course between the stone and timber. The lead was soldered her and there (presumably to join lengths of it) and flashed over the stone on both sides. This was in a semi derelict Manor House somewhere quite near Sissinghurst. I will see if I can find out where - I took some photos at the time. Parts of the same building, also had a layer of slate between a fairly crumbly looking dwarf brick wall and the timber (oak) plate above.

AJB Temple":2io4gt18 said:
Not relevant from here, but purely for interest, I have seen a timber framed building set on stone walls, with a lead damp proof course between the stone and timber. The lead was soldered her and there (presumably to join lengths of it) and flashed over the stone on both sides. This was in a semi derelict Manor House somewhere quite near Sissinghurst. I will see if I can find out where - I took some photos at the time. Parts of the same building, also had a layer of slate between a fairly crumbly looking dwarf brick wall and the timber (oak) plate above.
It's quite usual to see lead sheet used as a dpc in a chimney stack - not that many people build such things these days!

Latest posts

Back